Boss DS-1 vs. MXR M69 Prime Distortion

What's Hot
Hey guys! 

I'm looking for a well-rounded distortion pedal that can give me a quality distortion. I am mainly looking for a distortion that could help me achieve Metallica tones, as thats what I mostly like to play! But I also enjoy playing ACDC and Iron Maiden - hence the need for a well-rounded distortion pedal. 

I've tried quite a lot of options, including the full range of MXR distortion pedals. The BOSS DS-1 and MXR Prime Distortion stood out as the most versatile, while also achieving a decent Metallica tone. Google searches have shown me that the ProCo RAT and MXR Distortion + seem to be great, but I didn't quite feel them when I tried them. Also, the MXR Fullbore Metal sounded cool, but somewhat fake I guess. I know that Metallica use Mesa Boogie amps for most of their distortion but I can't quite afford one of those just yet - so ill just have to stick to pedals for now. 

I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations you guys have to offer! 

My gear:

- Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe HSS
- Marshall MG15CFR (Open to change as well)

P.S. This is my first thread so I apologise if I posted this in the wrong place!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27495
    I'll move this into the FX section as it's not a review!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Welcome. What about a Mesa Throttle Box EQ?
  • If you want good metal tones, I'd avoid the ds-1. It's a bit too liquidy- better as a lead pedal imo.

Look into a Digitech hardwire metal - they're quite affordable second hand. Or, if you don't mind the power supply, the best metal distortion I've ever used was the blackstar HT metal.
  • Try the DS1X. It’s a different beast from the DS1 and very, very good
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Of those two, the DS-1 without doubt. Boss reliability is legendary, and modern MXR is… not.

But if you're after a really *versatile* distortion, try the Boss Metal Zone. It's much-maligned, but actually an extremely flexible pedal - the EQ is very powerful, and although it's a bit fiddly to dial in you can create some really great sounds with it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @simonk @ThePrettyDamned @Limehouse_Blues @ICBM Hey guys, thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it! The pedals sound great but I was looking for a distortion that works for everything, not just heavy metal - so options like MXR Fullbore Metal, Digitech Hardwire Metal, Boss Metal Zone are great but too specific for heavy metal. 

I want something that works for Metallica, Guns N Roses, Iron Maiden, ACDC and Pink Floyd. I understand that thats a big ask and that many different types of pedals were used by all these guys. 

Thanks for all the help :) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339

The pedals sound great but I was looking for a distortion that works for everything, not just heavy metal - so options like MXR Fullbore Metal, Digitech Hardwire Metal, Boss Metal Zone are great but too specific for heavy metal.
    Ignore the name! :) You can get some great non-metal sounds from the Metal Zone too - it will go all the way down to clean with the distortion control low. If you want a pedal that works for everything it's genuinely hard to beat unless you go for a more complex modelling pedal with multiple modes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Try a Marshall Jackhammer.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • ICBM said:

The pedals sound great but I was looking for a distortion that works for everything, not just heavy metal - so options like MXR Fullbore Metal, Digitech Hardwire Metal, Boss Metal Zone are great but too specific for heavy metal.
    Ignore the name! :) You can get some great non-metal sounds from the Metal Zone too - it will go all the way down to clean with the distortion control low. If you want a pedal that works for everything it's genuinely hard to beat unless you go for a more complex modelling pedal with multiple modes.

Same for the hardwire metal - cam have a nice loose bottom end and high gain for nu metal, tighten up for thrash and turn the gain down for old school rock. 

Ignore the names! 
  • ICBM said:

This. And likewise the DS1X which among the various Boss dirt boxes is I think perhaps the most versatile. At low gain settings you can get a very nice plexi like crunch. At the other end of the dial (not that I venture there much) it’s pure filth that makes mid 90s Metallica look like Teletubbies.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited November 2017
    Try a Boss Mega Distortion, very cheap used and surprisingly versatile. Use the boost control with low distortion for OD tones and turn the distortion up for more metal tones.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/