Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Overdrive/Gain pedal that cleans up nicely with the guitar volume?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• simonk said:
    Exorcist said:
    Thanks, I've had a listen to some clips of the hudson, and it sounds a bit too 'fuzzy' if that makes sense. I guess that's the germanium transistor? 
    @simonk can you remember which barbers, would it have been the direct drive?
    More suggestions welcome, the research is half the fun :-)
    I’ve enjoyed all of them... they’re generally underrated it seems. The Direct Drive and Ltd are both great in their various versions. Two that really stick in my mind are the 1/2 Gainer and Dual Unlimited. I gigged those loads, always into a clean amp and apart from fuzz tones they gave me all the gain I needed.
    He seems to have scaled back production these days which is a shame, but the Gain Changer would be a good and versatile place to start.
    Wisdom here...

The Barber stuff is stunning and underrated. Probably the best live OD pedal I used was the Gain Changer...

Im not a fuzz or high gain player, but Ive found that some more powerful OD and fuzz can clean up very well. Wampler Velvet. Analogman NKT, Thorpy FX etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JEPBLEPJEPBLEP Frets: 188
    Just throwing the Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop into the mix - super responsive. 
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    I run my OD as an always on pedal, and get 100% of my clean tin3s by rolling back the guitars volume. Of all the tons of overdrive pedals which have been on and off my board I’ve the past few years, the ones which cleanup from the guitars volume knob (well enough to work in my setup where the sound has to get really clean) are:

Fulltone OCD Reezafra
    Keeley/Boss Blues Driver
    Bogner Wessex
    Rockett .45 Caliber
    Bogner Blue
    Rockett Dude
    Menatone King of the Britains

There are other pedals which I have really liked, but they didn’t clean up well enough for me to leave them on all the time. Pedals in this camp include the Reezafratzitz, the Gunshot, SD1 and various tubescreamers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFX Warthog cleans up a dream. And I'm not just saying that 'cos I'm selling one 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    @johnhe thanks man, great list for me to check out.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Treble boosters.
    Sassafras said:
    Treble boosters.
    I didn't think treble boosters were really for clean amps, I thought they needed a bit of breakup/compression to do their 'thing'? I really want to keep a clean base.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Exorcist said:
    Sassafras said:
    Treble boosters.
    I didn't think treble boosters were really for clean amps, I thought they needed a bit of breakup/compression to do their 'thing'? I really want to keep a clean base.

You're right.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Exorcist said:
    Sassafras said:
    Treble boosters.
    Ah, I missed the bit about using a very clean amp.
    I really should read posts right the way through.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    Exorcist said:
    Sassafras said:
    Treble boosters.
    You get your clean by rolling back the guitar's volume. 
    edited November 2017
    bbill335 said:
    Exorcist said:
    Sassafras said:
    Treble boosters.
    You get your clean by rolling back the guitar's volume. 
    That's the whole point of the thread, pedals that clean up with the guitar volume, into a CLEAN amp, treble boosters work with an already dirty amp?
  • Prince of Tone works well in this application, and you have a choice of boost, overdrive or distortion in one pedal.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Vintage fuzzface. Wonderful solid cleans. 
    Thanks guys, I'm covered for fuzzes.