Overdrive for Strat and Marshall?

kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
Any suggestions for an overdrive for my strat and Marshall 1974x? I've been considering a tubescreamer but would this be a little bit too midrange-y for a 1974x? Would a klone be better suited maybe? Educated me people! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    Surely the only answer is either a rangemaster or a fuzz face, depending on how distorted you like things?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Treble booster and a Dr Z BrakeLite is all you need with that amp. Or a Timmy if it must be an OD.
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    Been really digging a Boss SD1 into a JCM800 recently. 
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    I'm selling a Timmy clone
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5162
    edited November 2017
    I’d seriously check out the Thorpyfx SI Veteran 
    Booster and FF....I’ll dig out the YouTube demo of it through a Marshall 

https://youtu.be/6YOfOHiQwdo
  • simonk said:
    Treble booster and a Dr Z BrakeLite is all you need with that amp. Or a Timmy if it must be an OD.
    I've been considering this option for a while! 
    edited November 2017
    tone1 said:
    I’d seriously check out the Thorpyfx SI Veteran 
    Booster and FF....

much more affordable versions of a silicon Fuzz Face are available.    i didn't realise the OP was seeking a fuzz, though.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Or the Warthog I'm selling but maybe I'm biased ;)

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/115953/fs-thorpyfx-warthog#latest

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    edited November 2017
    A Strat will work fine with any OD imo (as a rule of thumb)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Marshall Guv'nor, preferably the Mk2. It has full EQ, and the 'Deep' control on the Mk2 will give a nice 4x12" thump to it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks for the replies. If I opt for an attenuator does anyone have any recommendations? The Rivera rock crusher and radial headload seem like good options
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    ICBM said:
    Marshall Guv'nor, preferably the Mk2. It has full EQ, and the 'Deep' control on the Mk2 will give a nice 4x12" thump to it.
    Beat me to it!  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Thanks for the replies. If I opt for an attenuator does anyone have any recommendations? The Rivera rock crusher and radial headload seem like good options
    Seriously, the BrakeLite is perfect with the 1974x. I have one that lives permanently in the back of my amp.
  • If we're talking pedals, I'm not even close to a 1974x on my setup as I currently have a Strat going into a JCM 900 and the nicest one I ever had was Keeley Mod BD-2 (like Dan's from That Pedal Show). Trouble is my first one got stolen and the second BD-2 I got didn't sound as good.

Attenuator-wise, I agree with simonk above, my friend has a BrakeLite on a similar amp to yours and it's an essential now. Heard good things about the EHX East River Drive which is essentially a TS-9 analogman mod in an EHX box – also remarkably cheaper.
  • simonk said:
    Thanks for the replies. If I opt for an attenuator does anyone have any recommendations? The Rivera rock crusher and radial headload seem like good options
    Seriously, the BrakeLite is perfect with the 1974x. I have one that lives permanently in the back of my amp.
    Does the BrakeLite attenuate down to comfortable bedroom levels if the 1974X is cranked?
    simonk said:
    Does the BrakeLite attenuate down to comfortable bedroom levels if the 1974X is cranked?
    Bedroom levels might be a bit of a stretch... but if that’s what you’re after you might be better off with a MV amp in the first place. What the BrakeLite allows you to achieve is that lovely phase inverter breakup at more manageable volumes. Really heavy attenuation never sounds that good to my ears, and I only ever used the BrakeLite on the first couple of notches.
  • simonk said:
    simonk said:
    Bedroom levels might be a bit of a stretch... but if that’s what you’re after you might be better off with a MV amp in the first place. What the BrakeLite allows you to achieve is that lovely phase inverter breakup at more manageable volumes. Really heavy attenuation never sounds that good to my ears, and I only ever used the BrakeLite on the first couple of notches.
    Thanks for the input. The Marshall's impedance is 15 ohms, will this be a factor when choosing an attenuator?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    kswilson89 said:

The Marshall's impedance is 15 ohms, will this be a factor when choosing an attenuator?
    Yes if it's a reactive load, less so if it's a purely resistive one, as long as it's at least 8 ohms.

The Brake Lite is purely resistive - I admit I still find it massively overpriced for what it is, but it does work well with these amps. (Though not with all amps.)

The Jet City (and almost identical Harley Benton) is also good, and purely resistive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7418
    Germanium Rangemaster - I used one with a 18wattter and it was glorious 
    Red ones are better. 
    If you use that Marshall at home and you can't attenuate it or it doesn't have a master volume, I'd avoid a treble booster for home use.