Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What would you buy for £800-£1000

What's Hot

So I have been on a little guitar journey with acoustics and have run in to a bit of a dead end.

The guitar I really like is a Martin 000-15e Special. Sitka Spruce Top, hog back and sides, rosewood fretboard and just sounds superb! However it is out of my budget by over £600 and I just cant find the extra cash, or justify spending that much.

So I thought I would come to the good people of this forum for any suggestions that might be similar.

I mainly strum, with the odd bit of flat picking and finger picking. My current setting for playing is a room of about 20 people who are all singing as well, so it needs to be loud enough to be heard, and at some point I will be moving to a venue where I will need to plug in, but I can add a pickup later if needed 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm totally biased after my recent purchase, but many of the Japanese Takemine guitars are in your budget and blew away everything near them price wise when I was hunting.

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/116660/review-takemine-cp3nyk-new-yorker#latest

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    I would probably try and buy 2nd hand. TBH at the price, there are so many fine guitars that I personally wouldn't get fixated on the brand, I'd go for the one that spoke to me. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought a Martin 000M two years ago. I'd lusted after a friend's for about 8 years - they don't make them any more and he wouldn't sell me his. Some came up on eBay but I was either too slow, or they were too beaten up for the price, and I was about to go for a new Sigma 000M when I found a Martin. I'm really happy with it.
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    edited November 2017
    I've just this weekend bought a Sigma 000mc-15e and it sounds very nice indeed. For the record, I'd love a Martin too but had even less than you in my budget! Have you considered a Sigma or is the difference too far away from what you are looking for? You'll save a few quid towards your next obsession too.
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    edited November 2017
    Should have mentioned that I am happy to buy 2nd hand. Don't mind too much about the bane on the label, but the stores near me stock mainly Martin and Taylor guitars, so they've been my reference point. 
    I also don't really care for cut aways
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    2nd hand Larrivee? I only ever seem to read good things about them. 
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited November 2017
    eastman maybe used got mine for under 600 ex demo as good as it gets up to 1.5 - 2k solo fingerpicking's what I use it for.
    or as Brist says - larres are good quality
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Def 2nd hand, larrivee or takamine, :) or a 3 series Taylor mmmmmmmm
  • +1 Larrivee
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • As said masses of good acoustics now for a lot less than Martin. Furch comes to mind, Sigma at the budget end.

i really like my Cort adirondak triple o a lot of guitar for little money pretty much a brace for brace clone of a golden era Martin.

The world is your oyster with the current crop of well built Chinese Acoustics.
  • How about my '66 Kalamazoo built epiphone, same build as a Gibson LG-0,( built in the same factory ), well within budget with enough change to fund a p'up, see my ad in acoustic for sale section
  • If you're trying to fill a room with strumming, have you looked at Dreadnoughts? You might struggle to get even a used Martin D18 around that budget (though there is one on ebay right now in Farnborough for 1k), but something similar from Sigma, Takamine or even Recording King (below budget) would be good. 

Maybe?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/acoustic-dept/acoustic-guitars/dreadnought-acoustic-guitars/sigma-sdr-28h-d-style-guitar-solid-indian-rosewood-b-sides-natural-with-herringbone-inlay-inc-gigbag-sigmasdr28h
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    edited November 2017
    The problem with buying used is you don't get to pick the one you want from a selection.

With your budget I'd go to a two or three well stocked stores and try as many as you can until you find a couple you really like up to £1200 and then see what deals they can offer.

I'd be looking at the Faith range, you can pick up something really good for that money. 

Don't forget you're in a strong position with cash in hand to by for £1k as most music stores offer finance at 0% interest*. 

*Edit: in order to sell at this price. 
  • Cheers for the suggestions.

I have considered Dread's. I used to own a Gibson J45 and that was excellent, but it had to get sold to fund a holiday. I have no issue with dreads, just found 000 style guitars a tad easier to play recently, but if a great dread came up locally I'd be inclined to go see what it was like.

Because of online prices, guitar stores don't really offer up much of a great deal round this way. Even heard one of the store guys at PMT say that they don't budge on new prices anymore as they check to make sure they are the cheapest online, can't even offer out a pair of free strings, apparently.

I've got my eye on all the online 2nd hand sections that I know of, so I'm sure something will crop up. I'm holding out instead of just getting the first thing I see, which I think in the long run will pay off

• This has been on eBay for a while, a Furch DS32SM, you could probably get it for £800.00.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stonebridge-DS-32-SM/282313167693?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Faith make good guitars at very reasonable prices.
  • Second hand Larrivee will be within range and see off the others mentioned here
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited November 2017
    There are good Larrivee, Furch etc but a recent guitar that I was really impressed by was an Eastman, not so common used.
    There is a rosewood OM on ebay ATM, not played that model yet.
  • Thirding Eastman - they are brilliant. You can sometimes get very good prices on them Bax Shop, or you could wait around for one to come up second hand.