Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

RG550 back for 2018!

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
edited November 2017 in Guitar

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    $1456, so probably over a grand here?

I wonder what this will do to the used prices of originals. I used to pick them up for about £350. Certainly wouldn't pay the prices that are being asked these days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought the RG655M was basically this anyway???

(but with better pickups)

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • But why would you buy this when you can buy an old one?

• Ah, that's just reminded me that I still have my '87 RG-550 in RFR....battered and heavily played, but I do like it.

Hmmm...saying that, it'll probably still need to be part of a guitar cull I'm planning. :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    You could get an old one in good condition anywhere between £400 to £700 depending on year and originality. Shows how expensive things have become for new guitars now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @HarrySeven ;
    That colour is stunning!
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    I think modern ones, may have fewer issues with neck warping though, as a lot of old '80s one have had neck cracks or twists, or need full re-frets.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Get there the easy way like I did, picked up a yellow RG350 dirt cheap, chucked in a set of Dimarzio Evolutions. Sorted. Sounds and plays killer. It's currently my main squeeze. 
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Stevepage said:
    You could get an old one in good condition anywhere between £400 to £700 depending on year and originality. Shows how expensive things have become for new guitars now
    From memory these were around £500 back in the late 80s. Allowing for inflation that would put them at about £1300 now.

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited November 2017

Ah, that's just reminded me that I still have my '87 RG-550 in RFR....battered and heavily played, but I do like it.

Hmmm...saying that, it'll probably still need to be part of a guitar cull I'm planning.

I've asked you about that a couple of times... I want it.

Didn't you have another one with half the body paint missing as well?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14244
    tFB Trader
    NelsonP said:
    Stevepage said:
    From memory these were around £500 back in the late 80s. Allowing for inflation that would put them at about £1300 now.

that's about what I recall - not put £500 into an inflation based calculator but I assume it is around £1300-ish
    Well, you could buy an old Les Paul Custom for £500 around then, so sounds about right

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14244
    tFB Trader
    stonevibe said:
    Well, you could buy an old Les Paul Custom for £500 around then, so sounds about right
    they've done well then as a used buy - a good example now could cost £2000 - and more sometimes depending on colour, age, case, condition, fret wear, originality
    stonevibe said:
    they've done well then as a used buy - a good example now could cost £2000 - and more sometimes depending on colour, age, case, condition, fret wear, originality
    True, but most of them were 70s boat anchors, so we flipped them!

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    edited November 2017
    I thought the RG655M was basically this anyway???

(but with better pickups)

That's a fair point D I guess the 550s are in more 80s-style colours, but I'm not sure I'd want to pay too much more for that...
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7864
    I had an RG750 from 1988.  Was battered, but played beautifully.  Wish I’d never sold it, but it didn’t sit well with the Gretsches ;)

Am constantly tempted to look for another....
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    @HarrySeven planning a cull?

Better up the forum bandwidth then..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought a black one around 89/90. Swear to god it had a rosewood board or is my memory failing me?
    Stupidly thin neck. Not sure I would want to play one now but great guitar at the time.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    It's a great idea to bring back a classic guitar and correct the one feature that couldn't stand the test of time.

It's a dopey idea to bring it back at twice it's value - No more than £900 surely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113

Ah, that's just reminded me that I still have my '87 RG-550 in RFR....battered and heavily played, but I do like it.

Hmmm...saying that, it'll probably still need to be part of a guitar cull I'm planning. :(

*cough*

If you do, and Jack doesn’t, I would.

thankyouplease.