Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Overdrive to cover most bases

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
Can anyone recommend a good overdrive that covers blues and rock? Would it be best to get a tubescreamer and a separate klone for more transparency? I've been considering the Wampler Clarksdale as it has an adjustable 3-band EQ so I could dial the mids in and out as I see fit. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 600
    Barber Gain Changer is very versatile and can do everything from clean boost up to distortion.
    Very happy with mine and I've been through a fair few overdrives..
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    BD-2 and SD-1, preferably the Waza versions. Bases = covered.
  • I really like the Skreddy Screwdriver Deluxe clone I built. Does everything from clean boost to fuzz. Particularly likes Strats.

Skreddy are making them again now after a long period when they weren't. Well worth checking out.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited November 2017
    simonk said:
    BD-2 and SD-1, preferably the Waza versions. Bases = covered.

The non Waza versions are fine too and you could get both of them for the price of one Waza, and they're available second hand pretty much constantly.
  • For me the Amptweaker Tight Drive Pro covers all drive needs except fuzz. Really versatile and can be had relatively cheaply second hand .
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I'm going to sound like a stuck record but I've got to recommend the Strymon Sunset. It is the most versatile pedal I have owned and will give you from clean boosts to balls out high gain in the flick of a switch. Go try one, you won't be disappointed.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    Boss SD-2 Dual OverDrive. Two drive channels labelled Crunch and Lead. Crunch gives you breakup and a bright sparkly drive, while Lead goes all the way to full on muff style fuzz tones. If you add a latching footswitch you can have 3 channels of discrete sounds (Off/Crunch/Lead).
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28573
    Foxrox ZIM.

Two sections, each with interchangeable cards, plus probably the most useful filter I've ever used on a pedal.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Xotic BB Preamp. A modern classic and doesn't get the respect it deserves
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    Very open ended question. What are you using it into, a clean amp?
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    OCD. Two voices and very dynamic, cleans up very nicely. I'm currently using two thirds of the available gain into a clean Marshall with the volume on the Tele backed off around half way. It's great. 

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2201
    edited November 2017
    I had an OCD which sounded good in isolation but thin in a band context, so I sold it. Conversely my Tubescreamer (a Maxon OD9) didn't sound particularly exciting in isolation but worked really well in a band context. What works will probably depend on the instruments in the band and the sound of the other guitarist (if there is one).

It's not a competition.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3314
    Depends what your budget is but I'd look at some dual pedals like the Wampler Brad Paisley or even the Dual Fusion, the JHS ICE Tea or the JRockett Tim Pierce. In fact, the JRockett (JRAD) Tour Series pedals are very good and one low gain and one medium gain or their Archer or even an EP Boost with one would also work but the ones I've mentioned are pricey.

The Boss Blues Driver is a goodie, especially the Keeley-modded one and if you ride your guitar volume, this cleans up really well.

The previous post mentioned an OCD and a Tubescreamer. I use both in isolation and stacked (my TS-808 is a Keeley-modded one) and they work really well together. If you got these 2 used or even went for the Tubescreamer mini (one went on here recently for @£40), you could probably get what you wanted for £120 and cover a lot of ground.

I had an OCD which sounded good in isolation but thin in a band context, so I sold it. Conversely my Tubescreamer (a Maxon OD9) didn't sound particularly exciting in isolation but worked really well in a band context. What works will probably depend on the instruments in the band and the sound of the other guitarist (if there is one).

Interesting! How did you have it set? On the low peak setting with the gain wound up its very very fat!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2201
    edited November 2017
    rico said:

Interesting! How did you have it set? On the low peak setting with the gain wound up its very very fat!
    I tried various settings but overall found it too mid scooped. In my previous band the bass frequencies of the other instruments masked the bottom end (plus the other guitarist had a fairly bassy sound) which left the top end sounding thin, with not enough mids to fill it out. But it might sound OK in other band set ups.

With the bands I've played in, I've generally found more mids (to upper mids) seem to slot in for drive sounds. I've had a similar experience with my home recordings, where the guitar in isolation can sound somewhat middly but it works (and doesn't sound that way) in the full track. Focusing on good guitar sounds in isolation can often cloud an overall mix. However, I like my clean sounds to be more mid scooped.

It's not a competition.
    @stratman3142 that is fair enough. In my current band, our bassist and I have spent some tim fine tuning our sound and crossover frequencies and it sounds pretty good. I agree with what you say about the slight mid scoop (mainly on the LP mode) but then again I do have the mid level on my amp cranked.
  • Maxx77Maxx77 Frets: 20
    Bogner Ecstasy Blue. Plenty of options, plus a boost channel
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13953
    edited November 2017
    zepp76 said:
    I'm going to sound like a stuck record but I've got to recommend the Strymon Sunset. It is the most versatile pedal I have owned and will give you from clean boosts to balls out high gain in the flick of a switch. Go try one, you won't be disappointed.
    I agree. I get tempted to think there's better out there but nothing has dislodged the Sunset from my board.

• BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    Jetter Gold Standard
  • Strymon Sunset - end of