Polytone Mini Brute ii ?

What's Hot
LGS has one of these come in on px... Had a play with it tonight. For a SS it absolutely melts. It's billed as a "Jazz" amp and looks insanely complicated. Doesn't have a footswitch but tried a bog standard Marshall one whilst we were playing with it which turned on and off whatever gain setting you had on. 

Just wondering if I can pick the brains of tFB amp collective for advice, experience, things to look out for? (And yes, in practice, this probably means just asking @ICBM ; but I thought I'd give others a chance too!) 

Cheers! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Did the designer of the control panel layout have aspirations to work for NASA? 
  • Did the designer of the control panel layout have aspirations to work for NASA? 
    It's for Jazz... It's supposed to be complicated. Or something

• Also... Any price indications? 

Did the designer of the control panel layout have aspirations to work for NASA? 
    It's for Jazz... It's supposed to be complicated. Or something
    Ah right. Random knob placement.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    I don't think I've ever seen one with that preamp. Looks more complicated than usual!

In general they're extremely reliable - I've only ever worked on a handful of them, and most of those were for blown speakers. Very simple old-school analogue technology, done well.

It looks like it should take a standard two-button/stereo cable footswitch for the overdrive and reverb, but I don't know what "CL-O'Drive <Sw On* Treble Clean <Sw Off* means!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Also... Any price indications? 
    Presumably:

New:>Used:On* <P&P*off 
  • ICBM said:
    I don't think I've ever seen one with that preamp. Looks more complicated than usual!

In general they're extremely reliable - I've only ever worked on a handful of them, and most of those were for blown speakers. Very simple old-school analogue technology, done well.

It looks like it should take a standard two-button/stereo cable footswitch for the overdrive and reverb, but I don't know what "CL-O'Drive <Sw On* Treble Clean <Sw Off* means!
    It's also got two "on" positions, which don't seem to do anything different. 

ICBM said:

Definitely for Jazz then...
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Surely it should have some kind of sleep mode if it's for jazz? ;)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    On a serious note, is the o/d voiced differently if its predominantly meant for jazz?
  • On a serious note, is the o/d voiced differently if its predominantly meant for jazz?
    It's complicated. It wouldn't expect a regular guitarist to understand... 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    On a serious note, is the o/d voiced differently if its predominantly meant for jazz?
    It's complicated. It wouldn't expect a regular guitarist to understand... 
    What about a regular bass player?

Actually, a lot of my bass playing often sounds like Jazz...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited November 2017
    Or... Perhaps a more serious answer; 

It sounded like a bluesy crunch channel but with a lot of depth. There was more variation to the sound by using the two different inputs as well and the OD is staged / rotary rather than being able to fine tune. As in, it clicks up one position at a time. 

It sounded very warm even with a bridge single coil with the tone cranked to the treble side, and got very very dark with the middle position engaged but still held its clarity. Colour me impressed! For a SS it's an absolute...well, brute! 

Legionreturns said:

It's a polarity switch combined with the power switch. It won't make any difference in this country because we have proper earthing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I have one - will be gigging it shortly as it happens. Lovely clean tones, superb for jazz, but also take pedals in front of the amp very well, and works nicely for fusion type stuff. Not actually that complicated - there's a 3 position tone switch in addition to the usual bass/mids/treble, which I tend to have in the middle for jazz use, but quite good to use the bright setting for more funk/fusion kind of stuff.

Distortion channel probably best avoided - not the best tbh. Also I've found for louder gigs it can get a bit stretched, best for moderate to medium volume pup/club gigs at most I've found i.e. tends to distort at bit on the clean channel if you push the volume up too high. Great amp though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    ICBM said:

When you combine the “treble” part with the “boost” part underneath, it will suddenly start to make a lot more sense.
  • Thanks for that @Megii ...really useful stuff! 

Any idea what I should offer him for it? He's given me first dibs

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Thanks for that @Megii ...really useful stuff! 

Any idea what I should offer him for it? He's given me first dibs
    Bit of a tricky one, and I'm not hugely well informed on what they go for these days myself to be honest. I can tell you I bought mine in the mid/late 90s (maybe '96) for £600 new from Ivor Mairants in London. Mine has exactly the same control panel as the one you're looking at, but has a metal speaker grill, so I suspect the one you show was made a year or two earlier.

I'm only guessing really! and I say this very tentatively, but maybe try him at £300 ish? - he might consider that too low, but there are other options these days for nice jazzy-sounding SS amps. Perhaps I'd go to £450 or so if I really wanted the amp, and it is in pretty clean looking nick. But I could well be way off with this, just speculation, so do take with a pinch of salt! :)
    edited November 2017
    I'm pretty sure the last one I saw sell was £349, through the shop I work for. It was the earlier preamp with dual-concentric volume/distortion pots and checkered vinyl, like this one -

https://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/polytone-mini-brute-ii-570647.jpg

I would guess this is worth slightly more given the more sophisticated preamp.

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited November 2017
    He's got it labeled at £400 but gave me the usual "that's not the price for you Chris... That's just the public price" ... I hate it when he does that lol