Recording Level from a Yamaha THR10 to Garageband

not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
edited March 2014 in Studio & Recording

I'm running my THR10 via USB into my MacBook and Garageband.

All works fine, but as far as I can see there's no control over the input level from the THR.

Is it always at a fixed level, or should I be able to change it? (all the usual options are greyed out).

Reading the manual doesn't help, in fact in trouble shooting there's this, that clearly states THR5 only....????

(THR5 only) Audio volume from the computer connected to the unit via USB is too low or too high. • Launch the THR Editor on the computer and adjust the volume output using the “USB Volume” setting.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Bump....anyone else recorded via USB from a THR10?

It's sounding fine, but the level looks so low in Garageband it's difficult to view the waveforms properly. The final tracks are sounding fine when uploaded and streamed from soundcloud so it's not actually causing a real issue, it just looks wrong.

• FaffFaff Frets: 29
    There's no volume level in the mac control panel for THR10. I use THR10 into GarageBand and levels seem ok as with any other interface.
    Guitarist for...  HEY PIXIES - The UK's most gigantic PIXIES tribute band
    http://www.facebook.com/heypixies
    "We don't actually own any of this gear - we're just looking after it for the next Fretboarder."

• Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    Exactly the same as Faff, never had any problems at all. ;)
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638
    Don't know macs or GB but the Yamaha manual tell you to download the THR Editor which is supposed to show you how to adjust volume.

In Win7 there is a USB audio volume set but it is almost always slammed to 100%!

In any event, the level in Cubase matters little, digital recordings should be at around -20dBFS anyway. The level can be pulled up post tracking and I am sure Cubase has some way of making the "wavforms" larger?

Dave.
  • FaffFaff Frets: 29
    Oops sorry for missinfo. I see what you mean, the drawn waveform is very low although the levels and everything else are ok.
    Guitarist for...  HEY PIXIES - The UK's most gigantic PIXIES tribute band
    http://www.facebook.com/heypixies
    "We don't actually own any of this gear - we're just looking after it for the next Fretboarder."

• I did a plug and go recording session with my THR10C into Logic 9 and found the initial level to be lower than I wanted it to be. Haven't used the THR Editor yet, that might be my next port of call.
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537