Did Fender make guitars in China?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3451
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yep that's made in china
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Numerous Fender-badged instruments are manufactured in China. Most are built to a price point. This, rather than the country of origin, will explain any shortcomings.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yup. That's a "real" Fender made in China.  
    It's a Modern Player IIRC, I played one when they first came out. The quality is virtually identical to the CV Squier range (which I believe are also made in China). 
    The only thing that put me off was that the guitar is a rather unfetching shade of orange in the flesh and the neck finish is a bit thick and plasticy. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    This is the lesser-spotted *genuine* Chinese Fender. Easily distinguished from the more common fake Chinese Fender because the real one says Crafted In China, and the fake says Made In USA.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5753
    I’ve played the Chinese tele with the two P90s and it’s rewlly very nice. Unsurprisingly, feels an awful lot like the also very nice Squier CV ones. 

Probably won’t knock your socks off but perfectly playable instrument that will do its job well. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4917
    China must have lots of really excellent craftsmen; it's just the crappy cheapos (which probably cost peanuts to make) that give their industry a bad name.
  • prowla said:
    China must have lots of really excellent craftsmen; it's just the crappy cheapos (which probably cost peanuts to make) that give their industry a bad name.
    I think it's probably more to do with the large scale production of fakes. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I had one of those about 4 years ago.
    The build quality was excellent and the neck was lovely to play. It has quite low profile frets which I ended up not getting with and you'd have to like glossy laquerednecks to like this one but as a cheap guitar you could have set up and go straight on stage with it's a weapon.
    The sounds available are perfect for a gigging musician and the belly cut makes it really comfortable.

I've never seen a Rosewood neck version of this guitar but if they made one I'd probably want one again.
    The 'China' bit was just written on the back of the headstock, it never once presented itself as a problem.

Here it is next to the American Special I also owned at the time ..

https://i.imgur.com/NHGFogx.jpg