Sudden ThorpyFX GAS - Warthog into Peacekeeper?

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
Suddenly find myself drawn to these two Thorpy pedals - the Warthog because it's been described on here as like a RAT but with all the possible issues people have with those sorted (I currently use a Turbo RAT clone), Peacekeeper because Mr Thorpy himself says it's Dumble-esque - I like that kind of "LA" smooth lead tone - and all the demos seem lovely and sweet sounding.

And just the obvious top notch quality and design of both these pedals, plus I wonder what kind of smooth lead tone one might get running a Warthog into a Peacekeeper - anyone tried that? Are these pedals likely to be good in front of a completely clean, solid state amp?

This is way pricier stuff than I'm used to buying, pedal-wise, but maybe I'm ready for the serious stuff, and those two would certainly look pretty sitting on my pedal board, and Christmas is coming...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• There's only way to find out I'm afraid and that is to buy them both. One may have to go but they've lost their new value already so you'll get your money back if you sell it on :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    There's only way to find out I'm afraid and that is to buy them both. One may have to go but they've lost their new value already so you'll get your money back if you sell it on :)
    Cheers! - I knew someone would say that, and of course you're right too. But still, would love to hear from anyone who has/had either of these pedals.
  • Megii said:
    There's only way to find out I'm afraid and that is to buy them both. One may have to go but they've lost their new value already so you'll get your money back if you sell it on :)
    Cheers! - I knew someone would say that, and of course you're right too. But still, would love to hear from anyone who has/had either of these pedals.
    I can't comment because I'm biased but either pedal you won't be disappointed though. The Warthog is bigger sounding of course because of its nature/design but believe me it's all in the way one it sets is up. I use it as boost / overdrive as well as full on face melting sounds. Never mushy though. If I carry on taking like this I'll be withdrawing it from sale ;)
    Megii said:
    I can't comment because I'm biased but either pedal you won't be disappointed though. The Warthog is bigger sounding of course because of its nature/design but believe me it's all in the way one it sets is up. I use it as boost / overdrive as well as full on face melting sounds. Never mushy though. If I carry on taking like this I'll be withdrawing it from sale ;)
    :D This is sudden GAS we're talking about, so I'm not quite mentally ready to actually shell out - if I get to that stage and your pedal is still up for grabs then who knows... But GLWTS as they say, and cheers for your thoughts also. :)
  • There’s a user on here who I can’t recall, had both these pedals running the way you’ve mentioned, and said it was stunning. He shared his settings, and while I briefly owned the two pedals, I tried them in the same config and it was unreal! Seriously fucking amazing!

I know that won’t help your GAS, lol.

Both pedals are in the classifieds right now as well I’m sure (I’m in no way affiliated with the sellers) 
    There’s a user on here who I can’t recall, had both these pedals running the way you’ve mentioned, and said it was stunning. He shared his settings, and while I briefly owned the two pedals, I tried them in the same config and it was unreal! Seriously fucking amazing!

Both pedals are in the classifieds right now as well I’m sure (I’m in no way affiliated with the sellers) 
    Cheers @smudge_lad , not helping ease the GAS at all lol, but thanks all the same. :D
  • Megii said:
    Megii said:
    :D This is sudden GAS we're talking about, so I'm not quite mentally ready to actually shell out - if I get to that stage and your pedal is still up for grabs then who knows... But GLWTS as they say, and cheers for your thoughts also. :)
    Lol no problem we've all been there. I'm in no rush to sell it so it maybe here when you're ready 

• There’s a user on here who I can’t recall, had both these pedals running the way you’ve mentioned, and said it was stunning. He shared his settings, and while I briefly owned the two pedals, I tried them in the same config and it was unreal! Seriously fucking amazing!

Blimey now you're talking me into buying the peacekeeper ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 669
    edited November 2017
    I’m talking myself into buying both of them back again!
  • The la lead sound you seek would have been recored using a good valve amp. I'd start there then add pedals.
    The la lead sound you seek would have been recored using a good valve amp. I'd start there then add pedals.
    If I could give you a wisdom and lol at the same time, I would - just buy a Mesa Boogie and be done with it eh? :D However - for good or bad, I am a pedals into clean amp sort of chap, and was really just after experiences regarding the two Thorpy pedals I mention. FWIW, I already like my current pedal drive setup, and it doesn't do at all badly re the LA-ish lead thing, but as a lot of us do, I always think there might just be something better. :)
    Fabulous stuff @hubobulous - thanks very much for looking up that thread, I've bookmarked it for future reference, which may be dangerous to my wallet, but oh well. I have been using Turbo Rat (clone of) on lowish to mid gain going into a DopeFX Black Lotus (modded ZenDrive with softer Mosfet clipping switch) and getting something very nice to my ears, so I guess I was just thinking what would it be like to go for a similar idea using top notch ThorpyFX pedals. And the answer would seem to be pretty awesome.

Anyhow, just at the moment, I can't quite justify the expense, but in a month or two - Christmas pressie from me to me, could be a goer. :D 
  • It's really worth it and wasn't the signal chain I was expecting to like. But it's awesome
    It's really worth it and wasn't the signal chain I was expecting to like. But it's awesome
    Cheers again @hubobulous - it kind of does make sense to me to put the low gain pedal last if you're cascading them - the higher gain drive pedal provides the beef, and then the sweet-sounding low gain pedal gets to do the final shaping and refining of the tone - the seasoning as it were. Maybe not an ideal analogy, but you get the idea. :D 

• I think you're right. The Warthog is the unsung hero of the Thorpy range. It's so versatile. Perhaps a dual Thorpy pedal - WH one side, PK the other - with switch to change stacking order could be an idea. Add MIDI to the mix for presets and you'd get everything from boost to light OD to distortion to fuzz in one box????
    edited November 2017
    I think you're right. The Warthog is the unsung hero of the Thorpy range. It's so versatile. Perhaps a dual Thorpy pedal - WH one side, PK the other - with switch to change stacking order could be an idea. Add MIDI to the mix for presets and you'd get everything from boost to light OD to distortion to fuzz in one box????
    It could be a winner - I really think Thorpy should probably give me a free Warthog and Peacekeeper, for having helped to inspire this idea - services to product development and all that, or something... D 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6194
    tFB Trader
    Megii said:
    I think you're right. The Warthog is the unsung hero of the Thorpy range. It's so versatile. Perhaps a dual Thorpy pedal - WH one side, PK the other - with switch to change stacking order could be an idea. Add MIDI to the mix for presets and you'd get everything from boost to light OD to distortion to fuzz in one box????
    It could be a winner - I really think Thorpy should probably give me a free Warthog and Peacekeeper, for having helped to inspire this idea - services to product development and all that, or something... D

I think @hubobulous beat you to it, we came to this conclusion whilst doing the hardcore auditioning in that thread.... and even then, there were no freebies I’m afraid. I’m just too tight... good try though :)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    ThorpyFX said:
    Megii said:

I think @hubobulous beat you to it, we came to this conclusion whilst doing the hardcore auditioning in that thread.... and even then, there were no freebies I’m afraid. I’m just too tight... good try though :)
    :D I feared as much, and was hoping you might not notice it wasn't really my idea. Does sound to me like this should have classic pedal combination status anyhow. I'll start saving for Christmas... :)