Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Compressors...I don't like them

What's Hot

Comments

• Only guitar it makes sense on for me is my strat.... really adds another dynamic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333

Compressors probably had more of a place when people use massive clean Fender amps like Twins.  Most people use smaller amps nowadays and don’t need to soften and smooth out 100 clean 6L6 watts so much.   
    The funny thing is that I've always preferred big valve amps like Fender Twins, and solid-state amps, and I still don't like compressors. They just do something to the dynamics which makes playing a complete fight, for me - the opposite of what a valve-rectified amp does which is to somehow naturally track how I play and make it easier. I know this sounds daft...

The technical answer is probably that a valve rectifier has an odd characteristic, which is that over most of its current draw range it becomes *less* compressed the harder you play - the resistance *falls* with increasing current. It's only at the upper end that it rises sharply and goes into full-on almost 'limiting' compression.

This is actually a bit like the response of an acoustic guitar - when you're playing quietly, the notes seem to jump out if you play harder, but if you really thrash it hard there's a point where it doesn't get any louder at all. I think this is probably why I like it.

Another really odd thing I've noticed is that I often prefer the digitally-controlled compression in a multi-FX unit to an analogue pedal. I have no real idea why about this one :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    ICBM said:

Compressors probably had more of a place when people use massive clean Fender amps like Twins.  Most people use smaller amps nowadays and don’t need to soften and smooth out 100 clean 6L6 watts so much.   
    The funny thing is that I've always preferred big valve amps like Fender Twins, and solid-state amps, and I still don't like compressors. They just do something to the dynamics which makes playing a complete fight, for me - the opposite of what a valve-rectified amp does which is to somehow naturally track how I play and make it easier. I know this sounds daft...

That sums up neatly what I like about compression as an effect. I use compression most of the time (I play alone so I'm not thinking about 'the mix') and sometimes two compressors together. They've come to define how I play the electric guitar - it's a fight; one I'm usually losing but I like a good scrap.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Depends on what I’m playing and the guitar but compression is very useful to me.

A lot of folks who hate compressors play with saturated sounds so it’s a little academic! But a lot of those who say that could have their sound improved by gentle compression. I think folks who try it tend to set up the pedal so they can ‘hear’ it working- and that’s often where they’ve gone wrong, as it can sound overdone and flattens everything.

Fwiw, I detest the MXR Dyna comp style pedals - I Use a Marshall Ed the Compressor and it’s set very subtle to just add a little sparkle and push for clean stuff. And depending on the amp/room/volume it’s overkill.  I just let my ears decide!

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    edited November 2017
    It's the blend feature that makes a compressor. It's fast becoming an always on for my clean sound, pushing my boost so I can really dig in for any clean Hendrix tunes. 
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Generally I only use a compressor pedal on single coils. Like @impmann mine is an Ed the Compressor and I agree the trick is not to overdo it. Compression doesn't suit every situation (guitar, amp combination) and it is generally speaking a tool rather than an effect.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5162
    Yep, it’s Compressors and  Wah’s for me....Keep trying them and wonder why I bothered when there not really for me...
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    I tried a compressor for the first time last night, a Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone Micro. Gotta say the jury is still out. Some initial observations...

The good

1. Single note lines really stood out while playing chords. 

2. The sustain was welcome on clean and OD without the need for loads of gain. 

The not so good

1. Lack of dynamic range felt a bit strange. 

2. I don't think it added anything nice to my clean tone. Perhaps it would transform a bland amp though...

I'll give it a bit more time but I'm not sure a compressor gives me anything that use of a clean boost can't. Or perhaps I should look at being selective with where I use a compressor. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited November 2017
    While ai don't like compressor pedals used on live guitar, I do appreciate it's place on some recordings. I love the aound of it on this track from The Smiths “I Don't Owe You Anything”, it sounds really appropriate but a guitar pedal compressor just doesn't sound the same as the studio compressor used here:

https://youtu.be/I9qmYXreo7w

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Compressors with a blend control are an entirely different experience to those without. 

I’ve never got on with them until I was able to try parallel compression. Now I either have a drive pedal on or a compressor and sometimes both. 
  • I like them! Makes everything sound like Talking Heads. In a good way. 
  • I’m of the opposite persuasion ;
    Big box Cali76 with blend (Tx-P)
     set to always on  is the magic tone box for my home use.
  • Never used one on guitar, subtle compression tidies my bass lines somewhat
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    ICBM said:
    Another really odd thing I've noticed is that I often prefer the digitally-controlled compression in a multi-FX unit to an analogue pedal. I have no real idea why about this one :).
    You know, I feel the same - the compressor in my Valvetronix AD120VTX and Tonelabs are both modelled after the MXR Dynacomp, and I think they really sound rather good.  I prefer these to the Boss CS3 I have and a Boss CS2 that I used to have.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    I’m of the opposite persuasion ;
    Big box Cali76 with blend (Tx-P)
     set to always on  is the magic tone box for my home use.
    I wasn't aware they'd released a parallel compression version. I imagine that sounds incredible, esp. having a boost to push  the transformer.
  • I have a Boss CS3 but it sucks all the tone out of the rig.  Thinking of replacing it with a Wampler Ego.  Any thoughts?  Tele/PRS into AC15 or Cornell Romany Pro.  Trying to give a bit of a lift to solos without going into fizzy overdrive or ruining the basic tone - which I really like.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1677
    Compression really helps me get my sound in the Beatles tribute.

On a song like I Wanna Hold Your Hand - where you have a big double stops riff, followed by chippy chords, followed by a single note line followed by an arpeggiated bridge - it's a bloody godsend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited November 2017
    DannyP said:
    Compression really helps me get my sound in the Beatles tribute.

On a song like I Wanna Hold Your Hand - where you have a big double stops riff, followed by chippy chords, followed by a single note line followed by an arpeggiated bridge - it's a bloody godsend.
    Yes I find a compressor useful when having to rapidly alternative between playing full chords and single note picking lines, to avoid having to constantly adjust the level.

A compressor can also be useful for:
    - Adding a bit of punch to clean rhythm and picking, especially for funk
    - Adding sustain when using a volume pedal (post compressor) and delay (post volume pedal) for swelled chord/orchestral type effects
    - Adding a bit of extra sustain (pre overdrive/distortion) for lead, especially for legato.
    - Helping to get controlled feedback at lower volume levels
    It's not a competition.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173

A compressor can also be useful for:
    - Adding a bit of punch to clean rhythm and picking, especially for funk
    - Adding sustain when using a volume pedal (post compressor) and delay (post volume pedal) for swelled chord/orchestral type effects
    - Adding a bit of extra sustain (pre overdrive/distortion) for lead, especially for legato.
    - Helping to get controlled feedback at lower volume levels
    - Levelling out the volume of tapped notes when using a clean sound (cf. the David Torn video above)

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    My first compressor from lumpy tone shop changed my world. It eliminated my drive pedals as they were being used for a little rawness on my clean amp. The compressor running hot into my valve boost achieved the same sound, that sound I craved was actually a light clipping or compression. it also provided support to many clean tones. 
    I upgraded to a cali76 and now it does all the cleans. It fills a weak univibe or tremolo. 
    Basically it gives a balanced output to all the strings, something good pickups or a good amp should do anyway. I thought my pickups and amps were the best I've ever heard. The cali76 makes their performance even better.