Boss DD3 making popping noises

OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
I had a once in while covers gig recently and needed a bit of basic delay and decided my DD500 was overkill so I pulled out my old DD3. I stuck it at the end of the chain, but noticed I seemed to get be getting random popping noises (as though I was slapping the strings).

A quick google seems to suggest it could be too much level going through it and it seems that switching of my EP boost and backed of my drive pedal levels the popping seemed to dissappear - I using a Strat with vintage output single coils. Has anyone else had this issue, is it really ro much level? If so, surely it's a pretty major design issue as delay usually goes at the end of the signal chain and it's quite common to boost levels in the chain.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Yes, quite likely just that, I've come across issues with the DD2/3 and signal levels as well. I don't remember popping, but definitely unwanted distortion and apparent level loss.

Put the delay before the boost. Remember that back when these were designed, boosting wasn't a normal thing, most players used dirt pedals to generate dirt :). That's also why the 'unity volume' settings on most older dirt pedals are quite far up the control range.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yeah same as ICBM, the DD series don't like level, the delays get ruined, but I don't remember popping.

DD-20 has a setting for line level but that probably doesn't help you :)
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Ok cheers guys, at least it would seem the pedal isn't faulty. Popping might not be the best description, it sounds like slapping the guitar strings with a bit of distortion on whenever I hit the strings too hard. Unfortunately I use boost to push my drives as well as line level boost so I can't really put it after the delay. Nevermind I normally use the DD500 so not usually an issue.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Octafish said:

Popping might not be the best description, it sounds like slapping the guitar strings with a bit of distortion on whenever I hit the strings too hard.
    That's it - it's clipping in the pedal.

It's even worse if you use it in an FX loop with higher than normal pedal levels.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein