A newbies NGD

What's Hot
I know this is possibly classed as a 'toy' guitar to more experienced players but i had to show it anyway as kinda feel bad the amount of lurking i tend to do (and post in the classifieds, lol). Received my spanking new Squire Bullet Mustang today. Impulse bought via mail order a pre-owned ESP Ltd EC-50 last week and just cannot get comfortable with it so done what i should have to begin with and went to a guitar shop to try some out. Absolutely loved the feel of this and the Squire Affinity Jazzmaster. Literally couldn't decide so (after some advice from the wife, no wonder i love her she told me to have both lol) opted to buy this one and hopefully trade the ESP for a Jazzmaster. Is is daft that, as a 44 year old man i have already started referring to is as 'her' and have some ideas for names ? Was advised to try some skinny top/heavy bottom strings at some point as well if i find the current strings on it too 'bendy' due to the slightly shorter neck so picked some up as well. Would you recommend taking it to someone to have it set it up for me ? I mean it seems to play fine and the action looks ok but i always remember having a car that 'drove ok' but took it to a garage for a full service and it felt like a different car (for the better) when i got it back.... 
I know everybody's guitars' look awesome and to me this is no exception, the picture really does not do it any justice :smile: 

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice one, @Darkskythe - not a toy at all! These are great for the price-point and are an excellent platform for modding. :)

Any ‘new’ guitar will benefit from a full set-up, so I’d suggest that you budget for that - however, learning the skills to do so yourself is immensely satisfying.

Whereabouts are you? Someone in here will undoubtedly be able to recommend a quality luthier nearby.

Re. Squier Affinity Jazzmaster - maybe try Revelation variants as well - also good for the money.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3339
    Nice guitar these, was mightily impressed with them and the new Fender offsets last time I went to a guitar store. 
    I think a fender mustang is defo on my Christmas list. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    edited November 2017
    Just looked at the price of these, that's cheaper than most new pedals! Nice looking guitar, hope it brings you much joy! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Lovely. That's no toy. That's a proper guitar. 

A good old setup may transform it into a stunning player - but as others have said, learning to do the basics can be a really valuable skill to have!

Welcome to the fretboard. Stick around. You'll have about 8 guitars by the new year if you do ;)
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    That's a lovely guitar, beautiful colour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I know this is possibly classed as a 'toy' guitar to more experienced players but i had to show it anyway as kinda feel bad the amount of lurking i tend to do (and post in the classifieds, lol). Received my spanking new Squire Bullet Mustang today. Impulse bought via mail order a pre-owned ESP Ltd EC-50 last week and just cannot get comfortable with it so done what i should have to begin with and went to a guitar shop to try some out. Absolutely loved the feel of this and the Squire Affinity Jazzmaster. Literally couldn't decide so ( 
    after some advice from the wife, no wonder i love her she told me to have both lol) opted to buy this one and hopefully trade the ESP for a Jazzmaster. Is it daft that as a 44 year old man i have already started referring to it as 'her' and have some ideas for names ? Was advised to try some skinny top/heavy bottom strings at some point as well if i find the current strings on it too 'bendy' due to the slightly shorter neck so picked some up as well. Would you recommend taking it to someone to have it set it up for me ? 

No, it's not at all daft to refer to your wife as 'her'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited November 2017
    I own 3 Gibson Les Paul's, an SG and several other good guitars, I still bought myself one of these squiers a couple of weeks back and I love it, it's not a toy it's a really good guitar.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5780
    That looks absolutely beautiful and I expect it plays every bit as well as it looks. I love the stuff that Squier put out. Big ol congratulations 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Cracking looking guitar.  Mustangs are a ton of fun: welcome to the Jungle :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love Squier guitars! And those Mustangs look great for the money. 
    If it plays well now with a good setup I'm sure you'll absolutely love it. 
    Not toys at all imo, I currently have a Squier Ryan Jarman signature (Mustang meets Jaguar) that can hang with my US guitars easily. In fact, it's sort of becoming my No1 atm. 
    Enjoy! 

• Whereabouts are you? Someone in here will undoubtedly be able to recommend a quality luthier nearby.

Wow! Thanks for all the comments.
    I am in Witney (Oxfordshire). I had a quick google search and 2 came up (R.P Guitars and Dave Smart guitars), they charge around £40 for a basic setup. It is something i am definitely wanting to learn to do myself, if anyone local fancies showing me for beer money (and to have a play with the guitar of course, lol). You are more than welcome to pop down (or i could travel).
    I had intended to get this one repainted a different colour but it looks so nice as it is am going to leave it. Will more than likely end up modding once i start to learn and can actually start to tell what things could do with upgrading on her.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11805
    edited November 2017
    Squiers are legitimately nice guitars, there is a LOT of snobbery about gear but I've probably played about half a dozen new Squiers at various points in the range in the last year or so and they have all been nice playing and nice sounding.

I actually own a 2003 Fender Mexican Strat and a 2017 Squier Bullet Strat, and I prefer the Squier, in fact I'm selling the Mexican one!

BTW welcome aboard Fret Bro :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
     I currently have a Squier Ryan Jarman signature ....
    Really like the look of those: I had a hankering to try fitting a jazzmaster trem on a mustang body, then found Squier had got at it before I had the idea...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • JerkMoans said:
     I currently have a Squier Ryan Jarman signature ....
    Really like the look of those: I had a hankering to try fitting a jazzmaster trem on a mustang body, then found Squier had got at it before I had the idea...
    It's honestly brilliant.. If you can ever find one I'd suggest jumping on it immediately.