Signature STR-1. Does anyone know what these actually are?

What's Hot
johnljohnl Frets: 2011
Recently I've come across a few of these for sale on the usual sites and the descriptions and prices seem to vary wildly. From what I've found online these were relatively high-quality Japanese Les Paul copies and only a smallish number (most adverts seem to say 1000 or so) were made. Some adverts say these were made between 2006 -2008 whereas one or two adverts suggest they were made in the 80s.

Certainly all of the older adverts I've found seem to have these guitars selling for between £300-£400ish whereas more recent adverts range between £600-800. Does anyone have any actual experience with these guitars? If so, how do they compare to the likes of Tokai / Greco / Edwards etc and what would you say was a realistic price for an example in good condition these days?

Cheers,

John
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16737
    edited November 2017
    Tanglewood model, but the brand changed for some reason.  You do see Tangle wood versions with the same inlay.  A good Les Paul replica.

i remember the bursts getting about £400 which was a lot of guitar for the money.  Non-burst versions seem to be cheaper.  

They are not 80’s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    Is "80s" the new "I don't know how old this is but I want to make it sound cool" now?

It doesn't seem long since this changed from "60s" to "70s".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    I've got one and it's ace! Build quality and materials used are top notch, and it's a really good guitar. I think I paid £375 for mine about 5 years ago with a half decent hard case, and it was in mint condition. 

As a comparison it's easily as good as a Japanese Tokai, and was set up much better than the Gibson Les Paul I used to have several years ago. For the right price you can't go wrong!
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    I had an unfinished red one. Was pretty good for the money. The aesthetics were a bit mediocre, I thought.  
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Loobs said:
    I had an unfinished red one. Was pretty good for the money. The aesthetics were a bit mediocre, I thought.  
    In terms of the slightly different shape or something else?