FX Pedal parts - what to do.

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
I bought a couple of pedals a few years ago from a local builder. One was a RAT clone with with about 6 settings, each of which imitate various RAT releases. Sounded good. 

The 2nd was a chorus peal based on the original Boss CE-2, sounded amazing at home levels, went a little bit phasey when a mate gigged it. 

The one time I took the RAT pedal out of the house the switch fell to bits. It took him forever to fix it (...waiting for a part) and when he handed it back it wasn't right, and he also accused me of dropping something heavy on it. I've not used either since, mainly because I'm a bit pissed of with him and didn't want his pedals on my board.  

Picked up both the other day to have a little try and the enclosure screws fell straight out of the bottom of the chorus pedal. Plugged it in. Nada. 

The RAT sounded like something was loose inside, probably the switch. I didn't try it.

Long story short, I've lost faith in the builders reliability and ability to tell the truth. There is also a short post on this forum which is a cautionary tale on dealing with him.

I'd rather chuck them away than go back to him with them. It would be embarrassing and he won't resolve the issues and I'll just get another load of lies and accusations about not using them correctly (oddly enough all my other pedals are mint).

...but they did sound good. 

What to do... 

Don't mind having a little fiddle around myself but I have never worked on electronics.

Or would anyone fancy working on them if, say you keep the RAT and I get the chorus back?

Other suggestions welcome! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    Could be easy fixes like, broken wires of cracked solder joints. how are you with an iron? got any photos of the inside it might be easier to work out what you're working with.
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Stu_tate said:
    Could be easy fixes like, broken wires of cracked solder joints. how are you with an iron? got any photos of the inside it might be easier to work out what you're working with.
    Can do photos. Currently stuck in the house with leg in plaster so not easy to get to the music room at top of garden where they are! 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    I think there are a few approaches.

1) Make him fix them. This will be awfully frustrating and will not make you happy.
    2) Bin them and move on. Painful but better for you.
    3) See them as a project which will enable you to learn how to fix them (with help here). If you're so disposed then this is probably the best solution; if you're not a tinkerer then this will also be frustrating.

So the right answer depends quite a bit on you...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Sporky said:
    I think there are a few approaches.

1) Make him fix them. This will be awfully frustrating and will not make you happy.
    2) Bin them and move on. Painful but better for you.
    3) See them as a project which will enable you to learn how to fix them (with help here). If you're so disposed then this is probably the best solution; if you're not a tinkerer then this will also be frustrating.

So the right answer depends quite a bit on you...

3. Sounds like a good plan. When I get mobile enough I'll go open them and see what's what. 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Option 3 from Sporky will be the most fun and frustrating :-) .  Take some pics and post them when you can that way we can have a look and see if they're worth fixing.