Differences in DSL 40 & JVM 205 ?

What's Hot
GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
Hi,can any Marshall guys tell me the differences in the DSL (40C) & the JVM (205C),in terms of the Amplifier specs etc.
I have no clue about modern Marshalls.
Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    In the absence of any real life experience, at least try comparing spec sheets?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    The JVM215C is a more direct comparison to the DSL40C - the 215 is a 1x12", the 205 is a 2x12".

Simple overview: the JVM sounds *much* better than the DSL. It's much chunkier, fuller and more powerful-sounding, as well as much more flexible with separate EQ per channel.

if you really did mean the 205, it's better still, but obviously bigger, heavier and more expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited November 2017

I kept my DSL50 amp and sold both JVM's I had this year - first tried the 210c and then the 410h....the DSL sounded better to me! And less hissy. The JVM 4 channel (410h) could get a pretty close sound to the DSL's but not quite as good say 90% there. But it was naturally more versatile....just I didn't need that even though I guess it was the reason I bought the JVMs to try.

JVM 2 channel = 1 its own unique 'clean' channel (ie not the clean channel of the 4 channel version) and 1 OD channel - that is METAL voiced. With this amp the OD channel sounded good on green with the gain up full but you could still want more gain here so a boost in front would work well....the step up in gain on amber and red is HUGE. These modes are where the noise/hiss lives.

JVM 4 channel = 1 clean, 1 crunch, OD-1 and OD-2. OD 2 is IIRC the METAL channel of the JVM2 series. OD 1 is more DSL alike in its voicing but as I said above - not quite as good. JVM's have gain more than any man could ever need - and with that comes the hiss if you wanna go mad with the gain. Hence why the JVM Satriani has noise gates! 

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    JVM has way more gain bordering on un usable but some of the voicing options are nice. I like the orange one. The current DSL can be a bit fizzy with stock speaker though.
    TTBZ said:

JVM has way more gain bordering on un usable
    After I read that the JVM has "more gain than anyone could ever need", my first thought was that it would be the ideal amp for a friend of mine… who is a really great player by the way. Whatever amp he has, his default high gain setting is always with the gain up full.

He got one. It doesn't quite have enough gain, he uses a Tube Screamer as well :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    edited November 2017
    TTBZ said:
    JVM has way more gain bordering on un usable but some of the voicing options are nice. I like the orange one. The current DSL can be a bit fizzy with stock speaker though.
    My DSL40C Vintage sounded awful until I changed the speaker to a Celestion 65W creamback, love it now!
  • rico said:
    In the absence of any real life experience, at least try comparing spec sheets?
    ICBM said:
    The JVM215C is a more direct comparison to the DSL40C - the 215 is a 1x12", the 205 is a 2x12".

Simple overview: the JVM sounds *much* better than the DSL. It's much chunkier, fuller and more powerful-sounding, as well as much more flexible with separate EQ per channel.

if you really did mean the 205, it's better still, but obviously bigger, heavier and more expensive.
    Rico,it was looking at the Marshall website that prompted my post,because based on reading the specs the DSL 40 & JVM 205(should have said 215)seemed very similar in spec,but with quite a different price point,so I just made a quick post to get the views/experience from Forum members(which you can't get from spec sheets =) ).

ICBM,yes as you correctly pointed out I should have said 215(old age symptom) .
    After more reading I now believe that price difference is in a large part because the JVM is British built & the DSL is built in Asia(if this is correct).
    I'm not really fussed about the EQ per channel of the JVM,because in use i'd probably just revert to type & use 1 channel & the Guitar volume,to do any variation,which isn't much.
    Thanks for the replies,i'll have to demo them in my local dealer which is never much use for me,but it's a starting point.
    If I do buy a Marshall it'll be my first one in nearly 60yrs of gigging,but maybe I should own one before I pass on.

GrahamG said:

After more reading I now believe that price difference is in a large part because the JVM is British built & the DSL is built in Asia(if this is correct).
    Yes, that's correct - Vietnam. However, the quality is better than the old UK-made DSLs! The JVM is better-made than the old DSLs too.

There is also a genuine parts cost difference because the JVM has bigger transformers and a more expensive speaker - which will explain most of why it sounds better. I'm pretty sure the DSL's cabinet is MDF too, whereas the JVM's is ply, which will also make a difference.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    longjaw said:
    TTBZ said:
    My DSL40C Vintage sounded awful until I changed the speaker to a Celestion 65W creamback, love it now!
    Even a T75 is a big improvement over the stock one!