Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Songs all Guitarists SHOULD know.

What's Hot
After years of only playing with by myself on the sofa I'm joining a few mates to embark on a biweekly informal jam thing (and maybe playing in public eventually). We're using Riffstation/Songsterr as a starting point and collaborating on arrangements etc when we get together.

We're compiling a list of commonly known songs that we feel most guitarists should be able to muddle through to use as a starting point for our efforts.

We all know the following well enough to get through without too many issues:
Back in Black- AC/DC
Stairway- Led Zep
Sweet Home Chicago- Blues Brothers version
Fortunate Son- CCR
Under the Bridge- RHCP
Learn to Fly- Foo Fighters

So, what other staples would you expect most guitarists to be able to do? Fun/easy songs for getting the ball rolling. Generally blues/rock is preferred, but anything will be considered- we were messing about with "rock arrangements" of Blank Space by Taylor Swift, Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran and Angels by Robbie Williams last time we got together.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • More Than Words.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    Sounds like what I would like to do soon so keeping an eye on this  =)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited November 2017
    If you are gigging... and it’s covers... anything a drunk crowd can sing along too without any effort:

hey jude - get to the nah nah nah nahs as soon as possible.
    chelsea dagger - do do doo etc
    hush - nah nah nah nah etc
    sex on fire - always goes down well
    mr brightside - again, a cracking singalong.
    500 miles - stop laughing!... everyone will be singing it!...

Add in a medley of “play that funky music”, “sex machine” and “superstition” and you’re laughing!...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    edited November 2017
    I think Stairway to Heaven had been very useful to learn lots of different styles. and sounds impressive to others. 
    They don't appreciate the hard bits sometimes. I play the solo and I get 'how do I know that's correct?' but for the beginning bit they love it. 

On a side note it makes me wonder if I should learn Zep songs with correct musical timing or Jimmy Page timing. 
  • That's VERY helpful thanks.
    adamm82 said:
    I think Stairway to Heaven had been very useful to learn lots of different styles. and sounds impressive to others. 
    They don't appreciate the hard bits sometimes. I play the solo and I get 'how do I know that's correct?' but for the beginning bit they love it. 

On a side note it makes me wonder if I should learn Zep songs with correct musical timing or Jimmy Page timing. 
    My attempts at solos are less than note perfect, I aim to hit the "big/key" notes at the right times, but I'm improving with practice. Playing the song at less than full speed helps a lot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited November 2017
    most stones and a lot of beatles numbers. blues standards, cream. hendrix
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3822
    edited November 2017
    Everyone of my age/era who ever picked up a guitar will probably have played:

Smells Like Teen Spirit (plus a few other Nirvana songs, mostly just simple power chord sequences!)
    Wonderwall
    Parklife
    Song 2
    There She Goes
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    That's VERY helpful thanks.
    adamm82 said:

My attempts at solos are less than note perfect, I aim to hit the "big/key" notes at the right times, but I'm improving with practice. Playing the song at less than full speed helps a lot.
    You are jimmy page!
  • comfortably numb of course!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    I don't know any of those.

House Of the Rising Sun?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Bung in a couple of Elvis and Buddy Holly numbers.
  • Learning the words is the hard part but if you can do La Bamba it's a stupidly easy chord structure & gets people doing their best 'this is what Mexican bandits shout like and I'm the first person ever to do this' routine. Oh, and just you + acoustic guitar + Jailhouse Rock = they dance.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    If you want to animate an audience there are two dead certs which any decent covers band should know, Brown Sugar and Spirit in the Sky.  You can get a good ten minutes out of "Spirit".  

Of course every band should be able to do a decent version of Johnny B Goode or Roll over Beethoven

Rockin all over the World is always popular,  and we found that Sharp Dressed Man segued into it very well.

I think the first song I ever played with a live band was Bad Moon Rising, nice easy song to kick off with that everyone knows.

Virginia Plain is also very easy and sounds impressive once you have learned the lyrics.

These are all old songs but if you aspire to playing to an audience solid tunes with a strong rhythm that most folk recognise are where it's at.

• ICBM said:
    I don't know any of those.

House Of the Rising Sun?
    I heard that on the radio last night, it's better than I remembered it - real energy to it. The guitar part is a lot faster than I remembered. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I know a lot of Dr Feelgood stuff. That normally goes down well wherever you play.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    Smoke on the water,

Folsum Prison Blues.

Hotel California.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I would go;

Sweet Home Alabama (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
    Let it Be (Beatles)
    When I saw her standing there (Beatles)
    Whole lotta Rosie (AC/DC)
    Caroline (Quo)
    Tush (ZZ Top)

• poopot said:
    If you are gigging... and it’s covers... anything a drunk crowd can sing along too without any effort:

hey jude - get to the nah nah nah nahs as soon as possible.
    chelsea dagger - do do doo etc
    hush - nah nah nah nah etc
    sex on fire - always goes down well
    mr brightside - again, a cracking singalong.
    500 miles - stop laughing!... everyone will be singing it!...

Add in a medley of “play that funky music”, “sex machine” and “superstition” and you’re laughing!...

The ska band I play sax for did a 2Tone-style cover of 500 Miles at my friends' wedding...went down a storm. There were a lot of my fellow Scots at the reception.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14425
    Any song sufficiently well known to get on a music store Please Do Not Play The Following list should be avoided at all costs. 

I suggest covering The Ramones, at half tempo, in a Dub Reggae stylee.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom