Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's your oldest piece of gear?

What's Hot
OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
edited November 2017 in Guitar
What is it? Where'd you get it? How much did it cost? 

That's by age... not just by how long you've had it.

For myself it would be a Kyser capo. As I had it from new, it's 15 years old now! It's all original. I know you can change the rubber grips on them but I never have. I paid $25 US dollars from George's Music in Orlando. Still does the job all day every day, better than any other capo I've owned.

Then my trans-blue LP standard is 11 years old but I've only had that for 3 months bought off a mate for $500 AU...

What's yours?
Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3155
    tFB Trader
    I think he’s the son of Luke Meggin, the semi-famous smooth jazz trumpeter.

Otherwise, I have no idea what you’re talking about.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2133
    Wut?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I suspect it was Luke Megginson who stole my Telecaster.
  • OK I have no idea what the fuck happened there... COOL so I updated the title of the thread. As you were... 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    the oldest piece of gear I own is a '53 ES-125 that I got earlier this year.

The piece of gear I've owned the longest is a Takamine PSF-45C that I got about 22 years ago.
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Year of birth (1964) Gibson 335
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited November 2017
    I think my oldest piece of gear is a 1967 Black Flag Marshall JTM45, bought in the mid 1980s for £50 when nobody wanted old single-channel amplifiers with no FX. Still sounds excellent now 50 years on.

But on reflection I also have a Schott descant recorder probably new in 1965, and a 1964 Model L100 "Spinet" style organ, and a Leak Stereo20 HiFi amplifier probably of similar vintage to the JTM45.

However the oldest thing I have to play a guitar with is my hands and they're as old as the rest of me - turned 60 this summer.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    1964 Centurion Hi-Fi Five amp.

I haven't had it the longest only because it's not the original one I had, which was my first amp. (Likewise my 1984 Aria RS Standard guitar.)

The piece of gear I've owned the longest is my 1971 Martin D12-35, which I've had since 1989.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    My 1976 Yamaha SG....  which I've only had for about 8 months and which I'm trying to sell as I don't really get on with the neck :dissapointed:

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5161
    My Ernie Ball’s.....they’re 10-46 age undetermined   :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My violin. Made in 1898 and owned longer than any of my guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    63 AC30 Top Boost  I got in 87, I also have some Quad II monoblock amps from about 1959 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    1952 es125

• 1967 Gretsch Tennessean, had it 3 days.

The oldest in terms of stuff I’ve owned is the strap I bought with my first guitar and still use to this day twenty odd years on.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    edited November 2017
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    For "gear" it's my 1946 Kay arch top. 

For "non-gear" it's my British but with no manufacturer name boxwood C clarinet from around 1850. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    What I've had the longest:  32 years

A top-spec parts-caster built in 1984 or 1985 by Nick, a guitarist living in Hartley Wintney 
    At the time, ESP made top-spec replacement parts (like Warmoth now)
    He bought all the parts from Chandlers, it cost more than a new Fender, and was built to be like the Mark Knopfler spec:
    SD vintage pickups, anodised aluminium scratchplate, hard tail, mahogany body, 62 vintage rosewood neck
    I bought it used in 1985 for £95, I think he paid about £500 for the parts, it was his second partcaster, and did not need it. My guitar and amp had just been stolen

I had the trem he also gave me fitted at A1 music in Manchester. It's a lot stiffer than most trems, and I like that

it was my only decent strat for 20 years
    it has had all sorts of pickups, tried hot stacks, cool stacks, rails, a custom kinman set they now sell as the woodstock
    trouble is, it needs brighter pickups since the body gives it a darker sound.
    It's now had a DG20 EMG set for years. Lovely. 
    Never goes out of tune

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    1953 Hohner Super Chromonica, which my uncle gave me about a year before he died.

On the day he bought it, he wrote the date inside its little red box:  22/12/1953

Never could bring myself to play it, and don't think I ever will.
  • Boss OD-1, I bought it used in a shop in Chester in 1982 for £22. Not one of the really early ones, I think it was made in 1980.

In 1992 I sold a 1962 AC30 for £80. It was in pretty poor condition though - vib-trem not working, no footswitch, non-original speakers and the cab was starting to become ropey. I paid £110 for it in 1984-ish. When I got I thought it was ancient (older than me), but my main amp now (a Korg/Marshall AC15) will be the same age next year!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    My brain!

Oldest instrument is 1965 Gibson Melody Maker.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom