How do you do yours...?

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
edited March 2014 in FX
With 'New Pedal Day' comes intensive scrutiny and if you are lucky a few settings that just hit the spot... or maybe this spot, no this, no, no the fir.... Oh Bollocks...!

Yes if you are on it like a car bonnet - you will record the optimum settings - but how do you do yours?? it always amazes me when you see Rig Rundowns how bloody childish the pros do it - often with knobs off and masses of tape like  the nerdy kid with the lazy eye's NHS speccies...!

Billy Duffy does his like this...
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I got a Marshall Shredmaster from @Monquixote labelled exactly like that. If it ain't broke etc.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I used to do the "marker on gaffa" myself, mainly on delays. Now I just have two delays - one for slap, one for a bit longer, that's it. I try not to dick about for more than a couple of days when I get a new pedal otherwise I get too distracted, so I generally find my favourite setting and leave it there. I used to have an old Small Clone and I don't think I ever adjusted the rate on it in 10 years, from the hour I first got it home. It's the reason why I don't like pedals with lots of options.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I just remember the position of the knobs. Really not that hard.
    :-B
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    +1 Just remember them.. it's not hard..
  • I use coloured tape to mark the in/outs on my DD20 (only pedal in loop) and the out of my DVP1 (last pedal before preamp), but no tape to mark settings.  I'm the only person who uses my board so I just don't mess with it.  Even if things did change the it wouldn't be hard to get it back to where it was because I don't have anything complicated on there in the first place.

I also tend to put electrical tape over any socket on my cab I'm not using to prevent user error during setup.

I always carry electrical tape, gaffa tape, and masking tape to band sessions.  It comes in too handy too often to leave it at home!
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Once I get things set up I rarely adjust them.

Delay is the only exception so I just try my best to remember those setting and when adjusting play a riff until it feels right.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    Drew_fx said:
    I just remember the position of the knobs. Really not that hard.
    :-B
    This. Although it's pretty easy with my board...I use the Flashback with everything pointing north (with minor level and feedback adjustments for individual songs), the Hydra's boost at 2 o'clock and the Ninety Orange in vintage mode at 3 o'clock.

Simples.
    <space for hire>
  • The thing to do is sit down with your pedals and understand WHY you have set them the way you have - that way you will be able to set them the same again if the controls get accidentally knocked.

If you just set them by ear and don't make a conscious note of what you are doing, you may end up chasing that sound again forever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

I very much doubt it's Billy Duffy himself setting up his pedal board at each gig, so isn't the tape markers there just to make it easy for the tech/roadie/whoever to make sure it's all set right each night?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ Ah, good point...I forget there are proper musicians out there, with roadies and all that malarky!

Mind, i'd struggle to call Billy Duffy a proper musician...but that's just my personal opinion

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I don't label the pedals as I will set them up differently from time to time.
    I do have an Octaver that is labelled, but I don't think in the last 10 years that I've used it as labelled.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    ^ Ah, good point...I forget there are proper musicians out there, with roadies and all that malarky!

Mind, i'd struggle to call Billy Duffy a proper musician...but that's just my personal opinion
    Billy's always been one of my favourites. Give him another chance. 

I rarely watch those rig rundown vids when they pop up as a recommendation in my Youtube browser, but the vid with Duffy is interesting enough and he's down to earth and a decent player.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited March 2014
    ...anyway - I didn't mean settings for gig particularly  - more how do you record the various permutations across your gear?

I photo up settings of pedal and amp and mark/tag them then print out and keep them in a folder...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    For most of my pedals I've got sweet spots that I remember, or are quick to dial in, except for the Choralflange which has several sweet spots and I keep meaning to use some of my eldest's warhammer paints to put different coloured blobs on... as there are about 5 combinations of the 5 knobs and 2 switches I like to use :)

It kinda reminds me of the old gag about two Irishmen fishing on a lake, they catch loads of fish and one turns to the other and says:

"This is a good spot, we've caught plenty 'o fish - we should mark it so we can come back tomorrow"
    "Tis, I've put a  cross on the side of the boat so we won't forget"
    "you fecking ejeet!!! ... how do you know we'll get the same boat tomorrow?"

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?