Gibson have dumped cakewalk

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I'd be surprised. I mean, in once sense it'll be tough, because the wording is "as of last Friday". Ie, last Friday they told everyone to go home as the company was being closed down. The developers etc are all at home looking for new jobs, I suspect.

Someone might buy the rights, some of the staff might start a new company to make a new product, I suspect the brand is dead though and that its demise was no unfortunate accident.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I bought the lifetime sub. To be fair, its a very powerful DAW, but it just is too unstable. It does weird things that have no logic to them, ha, logic geddit.

The VSTs you get with it, as well as the paid for synths like Rapture and z3ta+2 are really good
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    I had no idea Gibson owned them. 

Funnily enough, I was getting tired of Sonar Professional, and bought Reaper the other day - I've recorded way more since. I just feels easier to get going on a project then Sonar 
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • Writing was on the wall when Craig Anderton was shown the door not long back. 

MrBump said:
    I had no idea Gibson owned them. 

Funnily enough, I was getting tired of Sonar Professional, and bought Reaper the other day - I've recorded way more since. I just feels easier to get going on a project then Sonar 
    I think this is where I will end up. Having bought the full Sonar package, I've got all the VSTs I want, so could easily get them running in Reaper. I've had a do at Reaper before, and it is easy enough.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Check the VSTs you want actually run outside Sonar. I know for me some do, some don't.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited November 2017
    To be honest I have been building up VSTs, instruments, editing programs, and plugins, specifically with the aim to be DAW neutral...  with me it was because I didn't know if I'd stay on Mac long term, and Logic is Mac only... but now I find myself very used to the features of Studio One.  I also like Cubase on paper, but it didn't run well on my Mac (it has since been updated but my trial expired months ago).

I figure at some point many people will end up in the situation where their plugs would work well in any other program...  so long as the plugs continue to be supported that is!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Steinberg have a cross-grade deal with 50% off Cubase Pro.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Snap said:
    ,,,I've used Cakewalk and then Sonar since the mid 90s. However, recently (Im on Platinum) it has got more and more glitchy and tbh its a bit of a pain in the arse. I've always resisted learning another daw as I am a hobbyist, but looks like this might make me do it.
    @Snap I was a Sonar user from v.3 to v8 (can't believe it's ten years or more) but you'll know that Cakewalk have always been prone to this:
    All's great then they release a version which is as dodgy as f*ck. 

I moved to Reaper because of it.  Never looked back tbh.
    There are still some things about Sonar that I miss -- it was always my favourite -- but there's nothing it can do that Reaper can't.  The learning curve isn't even that long these days with all the YouTube content.
    And:  maybe I've been lucky but in ten years I've never had a crash in Reaper.  Maybe a couple of farts -- god knows what -- but nothing lost and all's well on the re-boot.  It is and has always been very stable.

@Grunfeld
    thanks, good to know.

I was using Sonar this weekend, and the CPU load seems so unpredictable, you can be doing the same thing, and the load will shoot up, then on another occasion its fine. Annoying
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    I have only ever used Sonar in the 4 years I have been recording; got a LE edition of Sonar 8.5 with a Boss MFX pedal, managed to buy a sealed version of Sonar 8PE in 2014 and upgraded to X3, then Platinum with lifetime =) updates, it has always had quirks, certain things that it just doesn't like for no apparent reason. I always thought that I would just put up with it as they would keep providing updates, but this may be a good reason to look into Studio One or Reaper. Not sure which one, but both DAWS seem to be stable.
    My latest bug in Sonar:

Picture this - got a project that contains 6 tracks of midi intruments. Click on track 6, which is routing to Omnisphere, say playing a pad. It should open up OMnisphere and take me to the pad right? Oh no, it opens the synth that is in track 5, which is Kontakt, Evolve, which is doing a rhythm. So, I have the midi pattern in track 6 (should be a pad, playing all lush chords) triggering the percussion elements in Evolve, which is on track 5. And the pattern continues all the way up through the next tracks.

No idea why it does that at all. Has buggered a project that was working fine, til recently. Seems to happen when I plug in a midi controller.