Cold gig imminent - Any advice?

What's Hot
Ayup,

I have a gig this coming weekend which is going to be outside in a bandstand.

I had a gig at the start of November outside and that was freezing (figuratively but not far off literally!). I was struggling to focus on playing and my fingers were so cold! I couldn't really feel much after a couple of hours outside. 

Apart from obvious measures to deal with the cold, is there any advice anyone can give?

I have a gloves... fingerless for playing and full winter gloves for loading in and out. A pretty hefty winter jacket which seems like it'll protect me and I will bang a load of layers on underneath that. I've bought some "hand warmers" to try keep my hands warm in-between songs.

Anything anyone can add? Are there any considerations for my gear since it will be cold? How will my valve amp deal with it? Guitars? 

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Keep the rest of yourself warm with clothes and exercise. This will mean that your body has heat to share with your fingers. The muscles which move your fingers are in your forearms, so keep them warm too. Thick soled shoes or boots with warm socks, plenty of clothing layers, scarf and hat. Put your hands in your pockets when you’re not using them.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Yes your gear/amp will be fine, it survives the cold in the boot of your car regularly, damp must be avoided with electronics! Your guitar will contract in the cold and tuning stability might be an issue until it acclimatises. As roland says keep your whole body warm, double socks, a pair of tights under your trousers, layers upon layers. That way your extremities are fed lots of warm blood and tend not to feel the cold as bad or as quickly. Beware of getting hot and sweaty at the load in, take your time else your under layer gets damp from perspiration.
    I did NYE once and they opened the side of the tent to access the hog roast, it was snowing at the time! We got our old school PAR cans down off the trees and pulled them in tight at the side of the stage to provide at least some radiant heat (modern LED lights won't do this).
    Keep yourself warm by sitting in the car whenever possible if nothing else is available.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited November 2017
    Keep your wrists warm, if you don’t have a coat that’s tight fitting around your wrists wear some sports wristbands. Do a physical warm up before you start playing if you can, that’ll help you get some heat going 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited December 2017
    Some tips for cold weather attire, hair styles optional ...

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • I have a clear memory of an interview with Joe Satriani where he said on gigs on cold nights he would hold his hands in a  bucket of warm water before the gig ( presumably he dried them as well)to help him warm up. I’ve made do with the hand dryer in the gents. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Go for a brisk walk before playing, don't wear gloves and don't put them in your pockets and by the end of the walk your hands will have warmed up. 
  • Go for a brisk walk before playing, don't wear gloves and don't put them in your pockets and by the end of the walk your hands will have warmed up. 
    Not sure my hands will stay warm after being stood in the same spot for 2 hours (plus nearly an hour either side for load in/load out) - this was the issue I had in Novemeber! But as @guitarfishbay and you have stated, doing some sort of exercise to get moving will help.

Some good advice in this thread, cheers guys!
  •  I’ve made do with the hand dryer in the gents. 

I cannot recommend this highly enough!

Also wear a beanie hat and drink tea/coffee instead of alcohol. :)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • A real Yorkshireman wouldn't complain about the cold.

;)

;)
    Ha! 

Dori thinks I'm a diva as well. Pretty easy for her to say when the most difficult thing she has to do is bash out some harmonica! 

I’ve made do with the hand dryer in the gents. 

Hanging out in some public bogs in a park sounds right up my street!

But there's freeeeeeee mulled wine!

;)
    Ha! 

Dori thinks I'm a diva as well. Pretty easy for her to say when the most difficult thing she has to do is bash out some harmonica! 

I’ve made do with the hand dryer in the gents. 

Hanging out in some public bogs in a park sounds right up my street!

But there's freeeeeeee mulled wine!

If it's hot wine then you're good to go!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I played for two hours in a barn this afternoon. Mucked up most of the twiddly bits but actually that was more because I don't usually play standing up -- once I got going I didn't really notice the cold.
  • I got asked to do a school carol concert a few years ago. When I asked about power supplies for the amplifiers they said, there won't be any - it's outside so it will have to be acoustic. I politely declined.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself