Magnet Swapping in P90s - good combos??

What's Hot
jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
edited December 2017 in Making & Modding
Hi all!!

After much deliberation I decided to keep my Yamaha TVL Semi, which has 3 P90s. However, if I’m keeping it, it needs some tweaking - currently the P90s are all super smooth, lack definition and the neck in particular is quite ‘dull’. Checked that there weren’t 250k pots and nope - 500ks all round! 

It is my greatest wish that I never take the electronics out of a 335-style guitar again, so pretty much discounted swapping the pickups wholesale, but thought changing the A2 magnets might get me where I want without hassle and soldering!

Heres what I was thinking:

Neck - two A5s or an A5/A3 combo
Middle - A5/A3 or A5/A2 combo
Bridge - A5/A2 combo or maybe A5/A8 for more output

Is there any difference in which side the magnets go if it’s a combination? Am I goin to be over/unde powering any particular position with the above suggestions?? Any help appreciated!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    -No difference
    -Output depends on a combination of wind and magnet

Magnet differences in P90s are ore subtle than humbuckers.

Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

I did some mag-swapping in P90s, most combo differences were fairly subtle but I instantly hated A5/A8 bridge, it was so sharp and.. just didn't like it at all. Didn't try it in the neck, praps it'd work there, and praps be fine with your pickups anyway. Cheap to try combos out though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Don't forget about A4 or, for that matter, ceramic bar magnets. Even the casting and charging techniques could make a difference.

Corvus said:
    I instantly hated A5/A8 bridge, it was so sharp and.. just didn't like it at all.
    A8 with a vintage coil wind tends to sound nasty. It stands a better chance with a hotter wind. The Seymour Duncan Hot P-Rails is a case in point.

Is there any difference in which side the magnets go if it’s a combination? 
    How far apart are the three P90s? I would try to avoid having an A8 in one pickup adjacent to an A2 or A3 on the nearer side of the next pickup along.

Neck - two A5s or an A5/A3 combo
    Middle - A5/A3 or A5/A2 combo
    Bridge - A5/A2 combo or maybe A5/A8 for more output

5/5 neck makes sense. 4/5 or 4/4 might also create the right blend of clarity and warmth without "mud".

5/2 or 5/3 for the centre position makes sense but, so would 5/5 or 4/5. Being closer to the bridge will bring some of the tonal change that you desire.

If the bridge position P90 is of approximately the same DC resistance as the other two, A8 magnets are unlikely to yield pleasing results. I would try sand cast Un-Oriented A5 (UOA5) or slim ceramic. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom