Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson Flying V Limitations

What's Hot

Comments

• Ive used Vs of various types for years and really dont understand this 'you just cannot play them seated' line - they are very very easy to play sitting down - as already said you just put one of the horns between your legs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    the title of the thread: V limitations

I don't really see limitations in them..
    ok.. so mine is more like a super-start that just happens to have a V shaped body..
    2 HB pups, no tone control, 3 way pup selector, Floyd Rose, 24 fret neck
    so.. it only makes 3 tones..
    but they are 3 very good / highly useful and usable tones.. all I really need..
    obviously I play rock / metal with them..
    but I recorded [and played live] a funk album with them..
    it out funked my Strat tone wise.. which really surprised me..

yes they are a bit of a statement.. they don't look tame..
    but I don't go on stage to blend in or look timid
    go out there and be seen to put on a show..
    a bright metallic orange V looks lovely to me..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=538236439862317&set=rpd.701189815&type=3&theater
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Flying V sitting down
    Yeah but that's because he's wearing a really short strap, which is basically a crime when playing a V :P

The problem with playing a V sitting down with your leg wedged in the V part is that the playing position is a lot different to every other guitar that rests on top of the leg. The bridge of the V sits a lot further towards the centre of the body and the neck further away and at a steeper angle.

However, if you play normal shaped guitars with them resting on your left leg (if you're right handed) then the V would feel more natural to you. But does anybody actually do that?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Almost got one when I went through my Schenker worship phase. Glad I didn't as I would have looked a right tit - I'm only 5'8 and at that time was pretty overweight, it would have looked so silly.
  • That Feline V is the awesomest :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited December 2017
    Anyone who says you can't sit down with one is being defeatist. There's pretty much nothing to it.

And they're super cool. Here's mine - an old Faded V enlivened considerably by @TheGuitarWeasel 's Winterizer mini-hums.

https://i.imgur.com/rgnT2GP.jpg
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited December 2017
    Why does everyone focus on the need to play a Vee sat down.....a Flying Vee isn't for playing sat down!

They've for playing with a wide legged rock god stance in front of a wall of Marshalls in a cloud of dry ice and some sort of elaborate stage set involving a devil goat or neolithic monument....that's what a Vee is for.

(or originally for playing Country)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Maynehead said:
    Flying V sitting down
    Yeah but that's because he's wearing a really short strap, which is basically a crime when playing a V :P

The problem with playing a V sitting down with your leg wedged in the V part is that the playing position is a lot different to every other guitar that rests on top of the leg. The bridge of the V sits a lot further towards the centre of the body and the neck further away and at a steeper angle.

However, if you play normal shaped guitars with them resting on your left leg (if you're right handed) then the V would feel more natural to you. But does anybody actually do that?
    I'm a leftie and I always place the guitar on my right leg [left leg for everyone else]
    and I rotate just a little to the right [your left] at the waist so the plane of my shoulders are 90 degrees to my right leg [your left]..
    this places the guitar in almost exactly the same position as if I were stood up with it..

I know most guitarist put the guitar on the other leg [even the big fellas like Guthrie]...
    but this makes no sense to me at all..
    stand up with the guitar and it'll never hang in that location

That Feline V is the awesomest :)
    yes it's absolutely stunning ain't it
    edited December 2017

Why does everyone focus on the need to play a Vee sat down.....a Flying Vee isn't for playing sat down!

They've for playing with a wide legged rock god stance in front of a wall of Marshalls in a cloud of dry ice and some sort of elaborate stage set involving a devil goat or neolithic monument....that's what a Vee is for.

I'd not want to be stood when recording for hours and hours...
    also... my V's weigh almost 5kg..
    fine for a gig... rehearsal.. but a 6 hour practice / recording session... arm... nah... lol..
    sit with it
  • Anybody playing a V from about 1980 onwards there is that sense of the question arising are they wearing it ironically or not. Tom Dumont ( of No Doubt) for example - I sense it's meant to be some kind of post rock ironic statement. Tim Wheeler from Ash also comes to mind.If I had a V would people see it as ironic hipster or ageing rocker? 

Tom's guitars, BTW, were Ibanez ( law suit type job) and Hamer Vectors. There are photos of his Vectors standing upright unsupported, just balanced on the ends of the wings. I don't know if all Vs can do that? Probably don't try it at home.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Jock68Jock68 Frets: 902
    No one likes the big case you need for an Explorer, but they are great guitars.
    Jock
  • Clarky said:

I'd not want to be stood when recording for hours and hours...
    also... my V's weigh almost 5kg..
    fine for a gig... rehearsal.. but a 6 hour practice / recording session... arm... nah... lol..
    sit with it
    I'm just here trying to collect Lols
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Anybody playing a V from about 1980 onwards there is that sense of the question arising are they wearing it ironically or not. Tom Dumont ( of No Doubt) for example - I sense it's meant to be some kind of post rock ironic statement. Tim Wheeler from Ash also comes to mind.If I had a V would people see it as ironic hipster or ageing rocker? 

No - it doesn't need to be "post modern ironic"

The only reason for people claiming to do it that way is because some trendy hipster type told them Vs were for dinosaur bands (probably some jaded journo from NME) and saying that you were doing it ironically was the best way to not take that flak.

If it looks good, feels good and sounds good ...THEN DO IT.

We live in an age when we are so worried that someone else will sneer at us or tell us we are fools.
    Thing is if you do it and "own the moment" you bypass that BS, and people look and say that you are actually cool .

You end up as the guy who is suddenly cool enough to rock a flying V..

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Clarky said:
    I'm a leftie and I always place the guitar on my right leg [left leg for everyone else]
    and I rotate just a little to the right [your left] at the waist so the plane of my shoulders are 90 degrees to my right leg [your left]..
    this places the guitar in almost exactly the same position as if I were stood up with it..

I know most guitarist put the guitar on the other leg [even the big fellas like Guthrie]...
    Well, in that case one of us must play guitar standing up in a really weird position...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26993
    edited December 2017
    For all this talk of metal and Stonehenge and whatnot, the bands I most associate with Vs are Ash (pop rock if anything), and My Morning Jacket (psychedelic alt country?), plus a little Jimi, obviously.

Anyway, my issue with sitting is that I don’t like guitar stools - I like sofas! But if I was gigging in any band where I wanted to make a visual statement, I’d *totally* grab a Korina V
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • If you're interested, this one is available with a soft padded case.......

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    Clarky said:

It does for me. That’s probably because I play guitars with a relatively long upper horn usually - I prefer the strap button level with the 12-14th frets - and keep the neck parallel to the ground.

If I have to play a V sitting down I just put the strap on it as well, but even then it has a bit of a tendency to slide. I accept the point about them not being made for playing sitting down though :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• For all this talk of metal and Stonehenge and whatnot, the bands I most associate with Vs are Ash (pop rock if anything), and My Morning Jacket (psychedelic alt country?), plus a little Jimi, obviously.

This is one of those YMMV things.

Jimi and Albert King aside my first thoughts are Judas Priest and Megadeth when it comes to V style guitars.