Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your Neil Young Recommendations

What's Hot
Which albums would you recommend, especially but not exclusively the more rockier end of things. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I love Neil Young but like many wayward geniuses he rarely makes a studio album that's great all the way through.

Live Rust is a pretty good starting point -- one side of acoustic stuff and three sides of pretty intense guitar rock.

There's also an album called Live at Fillmore East with an earlier line-up of Crazy Horse which is as ragged as hell but really good.

The first NY/Crazy Horse album, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, is pretty essential if only for Cinnamon Girl and Down By The River.

Pretty much all the studio albums up to about 1981 have at least something great on them. If you're in the mood then Tonight's The Night and On The Beach are both amazing records but quite 'difficult' in their own ways. The best of his more acoustic/folky albums is probably Comes A Time.

Personally I also really love his weird electronic album Trans but I think I may be alone in this...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    Anything with Sedan Delivery on it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Stuckfast said:

Personally I also really love his weird electronic album Trans but I think I may be alone in this...
    No you aren't :).

DesVegas said:
    Anything with Sedan Delivery on it
    Oddly enough I don't like that song, nor quite a few of his other apparently most popular ones.

I would recommend Weld for the heavier/rockier live material. (Even though it also contains Cortez The Killer, which I'm notorious for hating ;).)

Harvest is a classic for a reason, even though he didn't really like it himself, and maybe the best of his more acoustic side. After The Goldrush is my favourite his early albums though.

If you're into the heavier side of things, then of the more recent albums I think Psychedelic Pill is the best, but Ragged Glory and Broken Arrow are very good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 198
    edited December 2017
    After the gold rush.And Decades is a good start.If you look at my recent thread on Neil you can browse his archives for free.Theres a lot of varied stuff here .His output over the years has been huge.Ive been on his website and found a few gems that I didn’t know existed.You can play all his albums here for free,so you see what suits you.
    Simples.
  • Zuma
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Start with his first solo album and proceed in sequence. The early albums are all killer no filler. And take advantage of -

https://neilyoungarchives.com

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited December 2017
    Weld, one of the very best live double albums ever. The version of Cortez The Killer is the best I've heard, The Les Paul into the Deluxe is captured really well, very fat and warm.

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    I would like to add a recommend for Time Fades Away. From the On The Beach/Tonights the Night era.
    Live album. Of new songs. That's balls for you.

A friend saw Neil on the the Tonights The Night tour back in 76(?)

They played the new album all the way through to an increasingly baffled audience who were coming from the Harvest/After the Goldrush singer songwriter hit albums and here is a drunk and sloppy as hell band rocking through these weird dark tunes.
    And then Neil ends the show with
    'So...how would you like to hear a song you've heard before?'
    Crowd goes wild...
    Band churns into Tonight's the Night Reprise...walks off.
    Genius!  

• Thought there'd be plenty of love for Neil on here. Lots of suggestions to follow up with some looking like must haves that I'll just buy outright on vinyl.Can't wait tofollow some of the other suggestions too.
    I have a best of on CD and After the Goldrush LP. It's been used as an angle grinder disc in a former incarnation but I ended up getting it for free from a chancer of a seller on Discogs. At least when it's playing you dont get to forget for a single moment it's vinyl. And there's something magical about the pops and crackles, especially when they're free.
    To me, Neil's one of those singers who I don't think of as having an outright good voice, but it goes perfectly with the music and conveys something special. 
  • Ok, progress report...

I've ordered Live Rust LP. The price of Weld on vinyl is phenomenal unfortunately. Might get it on CD though. Sod it, I will.
    I've just been given Harvest Moon on CD but the owner wouldn't give up his vinyl copy. Obviously not a real mate.
    Can see me breaking out an acoustic for a few covers. Always loved Old Man and Heart of Gold.
    Anyone happen to know any open chord sequences for songs on Gold Rush?
  • Ragged Glory
    camoflamingo said:

Anyone happen to know any open chord sequences for songs on Gold Rush?
    After The Goldrush is just G, D, A, Bm and C.

Like probably half his output. The other half contains Em :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It was Live Rust for me and the film of the show, with the Jawa Roadeyes.  Probably Definitely one of the best live albums ever.
    I love On the beach, American Stars and Bars and Zuma. 
    The recent release of Hitchhiker was very interesting.

@Stuckfast and @ICBM check out the Live in Berlin concert which contains a lot of the songs from TRANS and gives them a bit more context.    
  • My fave album is on the beach. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    edited December 2017
    Don't neglect his CSNY output. Country Girl off of Deja Vu has a wonderful organ/harmonica outro. 4 Way Street is sloppy but has some good NY tunes.

Southern Man

• JezWynd said:
    Don't neglect his CSNY output. Country Girl off of Deja Vu has a wonderful organ/harmonica outro. 4 Way Street is sloppy but has some good NY tunes.

Southern Man

Good call,people forget his Csny stuff.But when he and stills get going with the solos it’s magical.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Side two of Rust Never Sleeps is excellent. Powderfinger is superb!
  • ^ this is true. 

Harvest is my favourite though. Words Between The Lines Of Age contains my favourite Gibson (I assume) guitar tone I’ve ever heard. 
    edited December 2017

Harvest is my favourite though. Words Between The Lines Of Age contains my favourite Gibson (I assume) guitar tone I’ve ever heard. 
    Martin D-45.

Or if you mean the electric part, Gretsch White Falcon.

• ICBM said:

Martin D-45.
    Meant the electric solo!