Peavey Classic 20 bargain

What's Hot
So my dad found a Peavey Classic 20 at his local auction and managed to score it for £80! When he got it back he found a Guyatone Digital Delay stuck to the speaker magnet as a bonus!

That's my Christmas present sorted!
1reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    I have one of these, great little amps and that was a bargain and a half!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice. When I used to gig (and smoke) there was a Foster's pub ashtray that lived on my speaker magnet so I didn't have to find one while setting up. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited December 2017
    Try a 12AT7, 12AY7 or even a 12AU7 in V1 - it will open up the range of the gain pot, so it doesn't go from off to Metal Zone over the first quarter turn .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Try a 12AT7 or even a 12AU7 in V1 - it will open up the range of the gain pot, so it doesn't go from off to Metal Zone over the first quarter turn :).
    Good tip, cheers!

I only want to use it as a practice amp at home, will this clean it up?
    jonnygreentrees said:

Yes. Sorry, I meant to type 12AY7 as well in the post above - edited. The Y is probably the best choice - the T can sound a bit 'cold' in a gain position, and the U might overload the plate resistors - it worked OK when I tried it, but I'm not sure I would run it like that for a long time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    jonnygreentrees said:

Yes. Sorry, I meant to type 12AY7 as well in the post above - edited. The Y is probably the best choice - the T can sound a bit 'cold' in a gain position, and the U might overload the plate resistors - it worked OK when I tried it, but I'm not sure I would run it like that for a long time.
    Finally got round to getting a 12AY7 for the amp and it's totally transformed it.

Much more usable range of gain now, thanks for the advice!
  • Great deal, you could probably flip it and get double your money back or more!
  • Great deal, you could probably flip it and get double your money back or more!
    Yeah I know!

I'm enjoying it as a practice amp at home though, much more inspiring than the little solid state Vox I had before
    jonnygreentrees said:

Finally got round to getting a 12AY7 for the amp and it's totally transformed it.

Glad to have helped :).

The amp was designed in the late 80s-very early 90s, when "more is more" was the principle when applied to gain... I never found it had any usable range above about 4 with the 12AX7 in. The 12AY7 should make 12 roughly what 4 was before :).

• ICBM said:
    jonnygreentrees said:

Glad to have helped :).

The amp was designed in the late 80s-very early 90s, when "more is more" was the principle when applied to gain... I never found it had any usable range above about 4 with the 12AX7 in. The 12AY7 should make 12 roughly what 4 was before :).
    Yep - I mostly play clean with pedals for drive.

I couldn't go above 1.5 on the volume before it started overdriving before. Now I get a nice usable range of clean