Good iPad recording apps?

What's Hot
I recently bought a Focusrite iTrack Dock for doing some portable music/recording messing about, but also so I can use it to record old vinyl without having to disassemble my record deck and amp and carry it upstairs to the iMac/audio interface. I used to do it on an old Powerbook - record a stereo WAV or AIFF, transfer it over WiFi or a USB drive and edit it, tweak the EQ etc later in Logic. Focusrite's Tape app is pretty good - easy to use and setup - but it only saves audio in 128k AAC formats and anyway, these crash Logic whenever I try and import them. I could use Garageband but there's a song length limit (there's ways to get around this but it's not ideal). Also, I've never been keen on Garageband's dumbed-down user interface, I don't find it intuitive at all.

Something like Audacity for iOS would be ideal - all I want is to make stereo WAV or AIFF recordings which I can save and later edit in Logic. Any recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Multitrack DAW. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    edited December 2017
    Which version of iPad and iOS are you running? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • The latest for both. Only bought it a few weeks ago. Not a Pro, just an ordinary iPad.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    Does Adobe Audition exist for iPad? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Does Adobe Audition exist for iPad? 
    No
  • At £20 a month, I’m glad it doesn’t!

I had a nice Tascam audio recorder app on my phone but that hasn’t been updated for iOS 11, that would have been ideal. Seen similar things from Zoom and Apogee, might investigate those.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    I have Auria Pro , It can get a bit expensive when you start buying the Fabfilter plugins ( though nothing to compare to how much it would cost on desktop.) I'm no expert but it was pretty easy to get up and running with the basics.

I tend to sketch things out in Garageband and then import it into Auria if i come up with something work working on.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Cubasis is good .. you can create whole tracks.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/mobile_apps/cubasis/start.html

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I've been looking at these, although I use a multitracker mostly, I also occasionally use garageband on an ipad and I too find it clumsy, not really sure who it's aimed at. 

I think I would go for Cubasis as I'm familiar with the windows version and looking at the feedback it seems to be more stable than Auria.  i think they are the same price. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7418
    edited December 2017
    Multitrack DAW is a useful step up from Garageband (GB doesn't do simultaneous multitrack recording) 

Then you move up to the big 2 : Cubasis and Auria
    I own both but much prefer Cubasis - for no good reason than I just seem to get on with it better
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
     (GB doesn't do simultaneous multitrack recording) 

It does now, as well as multiple takes. I use GB for all my recording and it’s fantastic once you get used to it. Some stuff takes far too many taps, but otherwise it’s solid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:

It does now, as well as multiple takes. I use GB for all my recording and it’s fantastic once you get used to it. Some stuff takes far too many taps, but otherwise it’s solid.
    On iOS? They must have added that since I stopped trying to use it! That's pretty cool - if the multi-take thing as done as neatly as it is in Logic that's very cool. 

To the OP - all this stuff starts getting very cool when you string together multiple audio apps using Audiobus and/or AUM - a wonderful rabbithole to go down

Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:

On iOS? They must have added that since I stopped trying to use it! That's pretty cool - if the multi-take thing as done as neatly as it is in Logic that's very cool. 

• I effed up the picture in the last post. Here it is:

awesome

Also - how cool is thumbjam lol - set to pentatonic and wail away! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    awesome

Also - how cool is thumbjam lol - set to pentatonic and wail away! 
    If I’d discovered ThumbJam earlier I could’ve avoided learning the guitar ;)