NAD: Vox MV50 Clean

BabonesBabones Frets: 1206

I have been after a little non-all valve head for daily home practice, in order to save the valves in my large amp. I wanted something small and clean that would take my pedals (including importantly big muffs) without getting that 'squish'. I hadn't been convinced by online demos until I saw that German chap, Pi42 or whatever his full name is, who put one through different cabs, clean and with pedals. He also used a Torpedo, which was what finally sold it, as mine is indispensable.

The clean is very nice through relevant 'clean' speakers. Comparing to an Orange Micro Terror, there is a little more power at 8 ohms (25w, 50w @4 ohms). The extra power and clean circuit design is therefore a lot better than the MT for a pedal platform. I find the MT results in the 'squish' even when set as clean as possible.

The Clean, unlike the AC and Rock, has treble, bass and volume, whereas the other two have a single tone, gain and volume. I instantly found that I set the the eq almost identical to my large amp, which takes my pedals superbly.

Finally, I picked it up in store at Wunjo for £25 cheaper than all the usual suspects online. Apparently they can't keep them in stock long enough, they just fly off the shelf.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    I was looking at those and liked the idea of running my Vox Tonelabs through it via my 1x12 8 ohm cab or 2x12 cab set at 4 Ohm, or a 4x12 in the rehearsal room.  How much truly clean volume does it kick out and would it be enough to keep up with a heavy hitting drummer? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • I've been considering the AC, well, gassing for it actually.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

The MV50 AC does a really great AC30 impression so if this is anything like as good then you got a great lil amp.

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Voxman said:
    I was looking at those and liked the idea of running my Vox Tonelabs through it via my 1x12 8 ohm cab or 2x12 cab set at 4 Ohm, or a 4x12 in the rehearsal room.  How much truly clean volume does it kick out and would it be enough to keep up with a heavy hitting drummer? 
    Lots of variables to account for, so it will depend. Single coils into an efficient, well built 8 ohm cab will probably be ok. Again it depends on your definition of clean. 2x12 or 4x12 I reckon you'll be ok at 8 or 4 ohm. If your playing with dirt, I'd say not a problem with any of them. I think it's a pretty cool little amp head and a good basis for pedals if you use them. A great back up.