Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Last Jedi (No spoilers in this thread please!!)

What's Hot

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Just saw the first screening at 6:30pm here in Italy with my 6 year old.
    You're all going to love it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just got back back from the midnight screening. Holy crap it's good!!!! Like Empire Strikes Back level good!! Surpassed Rogue One! 

One bit didn't like but won't say anymore for now 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just got back too. Fucking epic.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Did anyone notice the hidden cameo? Pretty cool and fitting. 

• We're booked to go Christmas eve.   2 years running, next year will be classed as a tradition.  

• We're booked to go Christmas eve.   2 years running, next year will be classed as a tradition.  
    I have no idea how you can wait that long. 

MrsF is in London for work so went at midnight. She said "Epic".

I'm booked for 830 tonight.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2578
    tFB Trader
    Saw it last night at 00.01, was pretty good, stunning visual effects and a good bit of humour too, story line was not as predictable as I thought it was going to be, but it is Stars Wars VIII so you know what you are in for, highlights for me was when Rey had a bad day of PMS and took it out on luke by cutting of his other hand also who would have guessed she was the daughter, of the cousin, of the previous owner of Jabba's the huts Rancor, blew my mind!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone who thought The Force Awakens was shite: please report back here if you liked The Last Jedi, so I can decide whether to spend good plectrum money on a film!

(I'm not being a Contrary Mary, I liked Rogue One very much)

TFA: shite
    Rogue One: Second favourite Star Wars film ever. 
    LJ: totally passed me by. It's a slate cleaning exercise. Hugely influenced by modern stuff from the Hunger Games to the need for way too much humour. 

And two films in, you've not created any new characters that stick in the mind like the originals do. By the end of Empire, we'd been given Yoda, Vader was fleshed out, even Boba Fett had become a cult hero. Disney will pat themselves on the back and say "But we've got more women in there to inspire people and we have a more diverse cast" and that is true, but it's one thing to have a diverse cast and another thing to create diverse characters. 

One big raspberry from me. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Rough . 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Heartfeltdawn. Apart from quite liking TFA, wholeheartedly agree with the review. Too many pointless characters, deus ex machina conclusions and lacklustre storyline. Hugely disappointed.
    Even some of the fx felt ropey - looking at you here, Snopey (and another character).
    The humour was mostly misplaced for a SW film - more suited to a Will Ferrel vehicle.
    It also felt like many themes/scenes/setpieces were a direct nod to those from SW:Rebels and Lego Freemakers (both of which are stunning tv shows to rival anything for 'adults').

Will i see it again - have to, got two small boys who are desperate to watch it. 

Opening space battle was pretty spectacular though, as were aspects of Lukes island.

Bah humbug.

• TFA: shite
    Rogue One: Second favourite Star Wars film ever. 
    LJ: totally passed me by. It's a slate cleaning exercise. Hugely influenced by modern stuff from the Hunger Games to the need for way too much humour. 

And two films in, you've not created any new characters that stick in the mind like the originals do. By the end of Empire, we'd been given Yoda, Vader was fleshed out, even Boba Fett had become a cult hero. Disney will pat themselves on the back and say "But we've got more women in there to inspire people and we have a more diverse cast" and that is true, but it's one thing to have a diverse cast and another thing to create diverse characters. 

One big raspberry from me. 

NOOOOOOOO!

Thanks @Heartfeltdawn, have a Wis for dropping that honest review right into the exhaust port.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • All I'm hearing is the "TFA-sucks" crowd saying they didn't like it. 

I think it's interesting that those people are, in my experience, of the generation who were kids when the first movies came out. For clarity, I'm not saying they're wrong (everyone's absolutely entitled to their opinion!), I just find it interesting, and wonder if there's some social/psychological explanation for the stronger negative reaction.

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Nor quite. I really like Force Awakens. Last Jedi not so much at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was 12 when Return of the Jedi came out, and enjoy it, I did. We were totally obsessed with Star Wars as kids, so I have a history and emotional investment in the series. When I watched the trailer for TFA it was exciting. When I watched the film I enjoyed the "Star Wars paraphernalia" and seeing the expected technologies etc, but the plot annoyed the crap out of me. Blow up a large military base in planetary form? Really? The whole thing felt like a re-hash or dress rehearsal or something. And the CGI characters like Tarkin or Leia were daft. As an adult I want more from a film than "hey, it's Star Wars!" Perhaps I expect too much from what is basically a children's film.

By contrast Rogue One I knew nothing about, before reluctantly watching it on a plane. It drew me in and I thought the idea of a good military sci-fi in the SW universe worked really well. And the downbeat ending, great!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • All I'm hearing is the "TFA-sucks" crowd saying they didn't like it. 

I think it's interesting that those people are, in my experience, of the generation who were kids when the first movies came out. For clarity, I'm not saying they're wrong (everyone's absolutely entitled to their opinion!), I just find it interesting, and wonder if there's some social/psychological explanation for the stronger negative reaction.

In my case, I'm Star Wars through and through. I saw Empire at the cinema well into single figures of age, I can remember watching Jedi with my father, and I kept up the love into the 1990s when I started going to toy fairs to build up my collection. By university I could quote all of ANH, an ability which a friend actually used to piss his girlfriend off so much that she left him, something he'd planned with me :dizzy: 

When Phantom Menace came out, I saw it three times. The flaws were obvious, mostly revolving around Anakin and Mr Binks, but Darth Maul was fabulous and I loved the new worlds created. Clones was boring and stupid, Sith then turned out to be the Star Wars equivalent of Muse, all overblown pomp designed to cover over some really basic material. Still, there felt like Star Wars, flaws and all. 

TFA had a totally different reaction in me. I loved the opening 15 minutes. Ren has a great intro, Finn was more than tolerable, Dameron was going to be the new Solo, and the shots of Jakku with the smashed Star Destroyer especially were fabulous. The slide into shit was then so quick. Ren's teenage emo moods, the quest for a sodding map, the so-called humour, pretty much everything on Solo's freighter with the pirates, the way the Millennium Falcon comes into things, the dialogue (for all the criticism of Lucas for shit dialogue, TFA was no better. Reading the script is painful), the Starkiller... by halfway through the film, I was looking at my watch, something that I can only recall doing watching a Harry Potter film having agreed to attend with my then flatmate as she had nobody to go with. TFA didn't use the old characters well and didn't develop the new characters well. Again, for all the criticism he got, at least Lucas did venture out and attempt to create some new things. 

LJ is better than TFA. It's a bloody long film, far too long (once you've seen it and gone off to read other reviews, I think you'll totally get what many have said about certain scenes really being unnecessary), and yet it feels very empty to me. 

Rogue One: outstanding. Tough, gritty. Loved it. 

Quite honestly, I think the reason there is some strong negative opinion from people like me is simply that we don't like the writing style and production. You get it with something like Doctor Who. I grew up with Peter Davison, loved Sylvester McCoy, embraced the RTD era, Matt Smith's first season is up there with the very best Tom Baker season, and it's only been Capaldi's run with Moffat writing shite that I've gone away. From someone like me, you give things a chance. If they keep on failing, then negatives will come. 

I totally agree with any idea that I'm the wrong generation for this film. It's not designed for the like of me. Rogue One was. 

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Very looking forward to seeing it - am sure I'll love it. But the one thing that is already annoying the hell out of me is Rey swinging that lightsaber around like she's chopping a tree down. Where's the grace and fluidity? I get she's 'new' to it all, but it's been marketed as her being special etc. etc., and they've made a big deal about Daisy Ridley's training to do the scenes. Where was she trained? Lumberjack school?

In the trailer she looks just like a brute with it, which IMO doesn't fit her character.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    she is quite a brute with her staff in the first film.  
  • WezV said:
    she is quite a brute with her staff in the first film.  
    She's got a really funny way of running though. It's like Capaldi in Doctor Who. 

• FarleyUK said:
    Very looking forward to seeing it - am sure I'll love it. But the one thing that is already annoying the hell out of me is Rey swinging that lightsaber around like she's chopping a tree down. Where's the grace and fluidity? I get she's 'new' to it all, but it's been marketed as her being special etc. etc., and they've made a big deal about Daisy Ridley's training to do the scenes. Where was she trained? Lumberjack school?

Rey pictured with Kylo Ren yesteday. 

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QbgIg6Y9eGo/hqdefault.jpg

• Loved it. 

I’ll say no more till more have seen it and I’ve digested it a bit. And possibly seen it again...