Have we done the roadie tuner yet?

What's Hot
kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
got mine yesterday. Ace little gadget. Not wholly convinced about the fine tuning but will be v useful for string changes and changing tunings. V impressed. 

https://www.roadietuner.com/
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    Yup, they sent me one a fortnight ago to test. Let me know what you think of it fella

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/119321/

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Cor - new bass version coming soon... colour me interested
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10406
    I tried one out last week ..... if the guitars more or less in tune it seemed to work fine and did the job quickly but it often got confused when the string was quite a way off pitch. 

Also although it correctly always under tunes and then comes up to pitch it has no way of pulling the string first, which is something I always do

For string changes though and as a roadie tool it's ace
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I bet the bass version doesn't cope with vintage Fender reverse action tuners.. :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    edited December 2017
    Thought everyone hated robot / electrical Tuners? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    Not if they aren't a permanent ugly fixture cluttering up your headstock.

Plus the fact you can use this on all your guitars. Buy once, use on all...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Did you get the new version?   I saw some deals a few weeks back for the ver1 but that needs a phone and might be less convenient.    
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    To use it you're still having to raise your hand to the headstock and individually place it on each tuner. I'd rather save the £114 and turn the tuners that quarter turn with my finger and thumb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Does this solve a real world problem? I mean how long does it take to tune a guitar? Takes me no time at all ... money would be better spent on some locking tuners.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Its a neat idea and has the endorsement video from a lot of people who can afford to buy one then chuck it in the toolbox and never bother using it again
    "its like having a guitar tech in your pocket!" no its not, its actually having a tuner and string winder in one in your pocket. 
    Im sure it has its uses but at £114 for a tuner its not something Id even consider to be honest.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Wait this thing is £114?! I'll just carry on paying absolutely nothing to tune up, thanks. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    £114 seems like a brilliant deal if it saves me a couple of seconds of tuning up to say nothing of the risk I run of straining my weak little hands without a machine that does it for me.
    I might be wrong but I think this gadget is aimed at roadies, getting guitars more or less there tuning wise after changing strings and such ...... it's not something you need to tune normally 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I've seen this spamming all over Facebook, which is usually a good sign that they've made too many and can't give them away. And at that price they ain't giving them away! Ridiculous price for a novelty gadget that'll end up in a drawer

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited December 2017
    Danny1969 said:
    I might be wrong but I think this gadget is aimed at roadies, getting guitars more or less there tuning wise after changing strings and such ...... it's not something you need to tune normally 
    I think it's aimed at any guitarist who'll buy one. It's a kickstarter company if I'm right. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

Danny1969 said:
    I think it's aimed at any guitarist who'll buy one. It's a kickstarter company if I'm right. 
    Oh OK, I don't think it's gonna catch on amongst normal guitarist but I could see it being  a good roadie (as opposed to guitar ech ) tool when changing strings. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited December 2017
    Danny1969 said:
    I know a few roadies and can tell you they don't touch guitars full stop - it should be aimed at guitar techs. Marketing cock-up. The guitar techs wouldn't touch this with a bargepole.  I was a 'roadie' for a while for a well-know guitar player and his guitar tech could get a guitar restrung in minutes and basically in tune using his ears. He'd then stretch the strings, retune, stretch the strings and retune and then fine tune using a tune before gig time. He wouldn't use this device in a million years ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I could do with buying my son a tuner and I took a passing interest in this thinking it might be an idea for him. £114? Seriously? :astonished: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    edited December 2017
    Some people love gadgets. They'll sell loads of them.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22824
    Not if they aren't a permanent ugly fixture cluttering up your headstock.

I have an SG with robot tuners and I hate them.  They're heavy, they look ridiculous and it infuriates me that I can't just quickly grab a tuning key in the time-honoured fashion if a string's a tiny bit out.

But a gadget which does the same thing without being attached to the guitar?  It's not such a bad idea.  Still unnecessary, but not a bad idea.