Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best music you Found in 2017

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28197
    Restorations, even if Lady BMcH does keep asking me why I'm listening to Bruce Springsteen.
    City Of Ships

Neither is new-new, but both new to me this year.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    gusman2x said:
    lukedlb said:
    Benjamin Clementine. 

Thanks for reminding me to check this out. I saw him on Jools Holland. It was like witnessing the evolution of man. Beautiful in every sense of the word.
    Every time I see him I always think "male model", he’s just got that look about him. Haven’t heard his new release, only his first album, which was good.
    Just realised that Spotify do a list of your "Most listened to songs of 2017"

So looking at that it’s mainly been;

Creeper - Their first album "Eternity in your arms" was released earlier this year & it’s something I have listened to loads throughout the whole year.

Gregory Porter - not sure of his producer & who mastered them , but his last couple of albums do sound fantastic. Plus his voice is superb, neat arrangements & classy musicians.  Glad I got tickets to see him on tour in 2018.

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Nightsweats - saw him on The "Austin to Boston" Netflix documentary & have listened to him during the early part of the year

Against Me! - "shape shift with me" Album. Last couple of years I have listened to them a lot. Not very heavy, just decent rock with some good & catchy arrangements & riffs. Stuff you could sit down for 10mins and work out, not flashy, but good solid playing.  Another album that I just really like the sound of, I’m trying to say I like the production on this one as well!

• London Grammar. Known only a little about them for a while. Got around to buying their 2nd CD, then went out and bought their first one the next day. I, unfortunately, was too slow in looking for a ticket to see them live recently.

Dakha Brakha. Saw them again recently, and this time they had CD's with them, so I bought all 3.

Not new as such, but I happened to come across one of those cheapo 5 CD boxed sets - real bargain lot of Kenny Burrell.
  • I made a point of finding as much new stuff as possible this year, but I suspect most of it wouldn't be of interest - French popsters such as La Féline, Juniore and Aquaserge, Italian electro-minimalist Sequoya Tiger or gothic metal like Myrkur or Chelsea Wolfe; bonkers saxophone with Colin Stetson or less-bonkers-but-still-a-bit-odd harp with Mary Lattimore. 

The other day, though, I saw Richard Dawson play - his album Peasant is really extraordinary: a sort of concept album about the north-east of England in the years just after end of the Roman empire. The only genre description that comes close is Progressive Folk, but that doesn't quite catch the intensity of the songs and performance. He plays a red Burns Nu-Sonic.
  • Chelsea Wolfe, The Caretaker.
  • Styx and Damn Yankees
    The new Styx album is so good... Loved it. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • My two favourite albums released in 2017 -

Father John Misty - Pure Comedy 

Jane Weaver - Modern Kosmology 
  • Still really enjoying the 'live in north America' GCJ album.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    edited December 2017
    EDIT: Accidental double-post.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    Rebekah del Rio, from watching Twin peaks. I'd forgotten how amazing a vocalist can sound, carrying an entire song with very basic instrumentation, without all the "guitar solo" R&B widdly style affectations.

Unfortunately the best song, "no stars", sees to have horrible distortion in places on Spotify. I wonder if the CD version is knackered too

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    duotone said:

@duotone -- I've been scratching around for this but can't see it.  Whereabouts?
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    The Comet Is Coming

Henge

Knifeworld

Grunfeld said:
    duotone said:

@duotone -- I've been scratching around for this but can't see it.  Whereabouts?
    Try typing in "your top songs" and see what it shows?  

It should show 2016 & 2017 Top songs.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    ^^ Ta!
    Well, bit of a surprise, top of my list is Aimee Mann's "You Never Loved Me"
    It's just a daft little pop song but I guess there were a few weeks when I was pretty much playing it back to back.

Aimee Mann, "You Never Loved Me"

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I don't think it is order from most to least played. I have one from 2016, but not 2017. Maybe because I didn't listen to Spotify as much in 2017?
    quarky said:
    I don't think it is order from most to least played. I have one from 2016, but not 2017. Maybe because I didn't listen to Spotify as much in 2017?
    @quarky ;
    There are 100 tracks on the list, so if you have listened to less than 100 during the year I don’t think that it would create a list.