Non conservative centre right parties

What's Hot
Having done some (ok not much) analysis of various parties in various countries it appears that most if not all centre Right parties are conservative in outlook, I.e. harking back to the past. Why are there so few progressive centre right parties, I.e. parties with an economic focus yet socially progressive and ambitious out a new future?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 913
    New Labour ?
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • If you take a progressive centre right as being more libertarian, then who would vote for them? Imagine a party based around this:

An Austrian School economically minded pro-LGBT free market party who want a reduced and secular government. 

Who would vote for them? The old Conservatives will have issues with gays and the lack of religion, the old left won't touch the reduced state approach, the swivel-eyed loons won't understand the economics and the lack of mention of Africans coming over to rape us all, and the Greens will be too busy playing with mung beans to notice.  

So really if that libertarian party did come up... they've got to hope their pro-LGBT ways will snaffle the SJW snowflake market. Now there's a coalition of fucking chaos for you. 

It is funny in the wake of the last few years to think that the like of Merkel was thought of a progressive COnservative...

https://www.newstatesman.com/international-politics/2013/09/new-progressive-conservatism

I make Jeremy Paxman look like Fingermouse. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • I would vote for them!
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 3008
    edited December 2017
    There's been plenty of proponents of this style for years, but without enough cash or backing to form parties.

Zappa was one before he died and successfully lobbied quite a few ideas away from legislation, Dave Rubin's possibly a more contemporary example. TYT network? Centre/ right economic with left leaning social policies?

Try and get elected on that platform? Good luck...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • To me it seems to be the logical form of government. Such a pity people seem to be so stuck in their ways or so bigoted.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 14872
    Centre left is the European way - free market economy with a welfare state funded through taxation. Interesting to see what Labour will do as a hard left party. Nationalisation is now popular, especially the railways, power and water utilities. More social housing and more money for the NHS and the poor funded through increased taxes (especially on property and inheritance), chasing tax dodgers and corporate cheats like Amazon and Apple.
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 30288
    Fretwired said:
    Centre left is the European way - free market economy with a welfare state funded through taxation. Interesting to see what Labour will do as a hard left party. Nationalisation is now popular, especially the railways, power and water utilities. More social housing and more money for the NHS and the poor funded through increased taxes (especially on property and inheritance), chasing tax dodgers and corporate cheats like Amazon and Apple.
    Labour aren’t a hard left party. With Corbyn they’re just back to being a fairly typical European centre-left one, having been right of centre under New Labour. It’s an illustration of how right-wing the British press and popular opinion has become that they can be claimed to be ‘hard’ or ‘far’ left. Everything else, I agree with you.

The problem with proposing centre-right economics and left-leaning social policy is that the figures don’t quite add up - the history of UK government borrowing, over the decades since WWII illustrates this quite well... despite their intentions the Tories have never been able to seriously cut social costs, so all that happens when they cut taxes is that it causes a deficit. Also contrary to popular myth, it's the Tories who have always borrowed more and repaid less than Labour, not the other way round.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 14872
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:
    Labour aren’t a hard left party. With Corbyn they’re just back to being a fairly typical European centre-left one, having been right of centre under New Labour. It’s an illustration of how right-wing the British press and popular opinion has become that they can be claimed to be ‘hard’ or ‘far’ left. Everything else, I agree with you.

I disagree. Labour wants a return to nationalised industries and more state intervention. France and Germany are going the other way. Labour want high taxes including a new property tax and have proposed a 90% inheritance tax. By today's standards they are hard left.
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
  • Jock68Jock68 Frets: 95
     Libertarians see the individual as the basic unit of social analysis. Individuals make choices and are responsible for their actions. Libertarians emphasise the dignity of each individual, which looks at both the rights and responsibility of the individual.  Libertarians believe they have a right to be secure in their life, liberty, and property. These rights are not granted by government or by society. 

Governments responsibility should be to protect the country and protect everyone from carrying out their lawful business.  This would result in Small Government and Small cost of Government, you would pay tax on your purchases not when you earn it.

Why would anyone want anything but a Libertarian way of life, Jeremy does not know better than me how my money should be spent.
    Jock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 5048
    Fretwired said: job
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:

I disagree. Labour wants a return to nationalised industries and more state intervention. France and Germany are going the other way. Labour want high taxes including a new property tax and have proposed a 90% inheritance tax. By today's standards they are hard left.
    Agreed, Corbyn wants to be seen as centrist but any analysis of his policies, rather than his platitudes, proves he is hard left.

Why do stupid believe Jeremy Corbyn? Because he says what they want to hear and they are too stupid to read Labour policy documents. Very similar to Trump voters and Trump.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 3993
    edited January 9
    Fretwired said:
    Centre left is the European way -
    How do you measure that?
    The EU parliament is centre right
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 8251
    progressive conservative = contradiction in terms
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself