"Broken" Orange TH30 - where to begin?

What's Hot
scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
I've luckily acquired a broken TH30 amp that belongs to the school I work in; a strange purchase by now departed Head of Music. It powers on and I can see 3 valves glowing but there's no sound or electrical "noise" when you connect a lead. I haven't got it home yet to examine and it could simply be one valve gone or even a blown fuse. My grasp of electrics is sub-minimal so where shouId I start in bid to get it going again?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Make sure it's connected to a speaker?
    That sounds obvious but I've seen it happen.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

Check the HT fuse first.

If this has blown the valves will glow but you'll get no sound.

If the fuse has blown then the most likely cause is a power valve has expired.

When you say 3 valves glowing, is that 3 of the power valves?
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    It’s connected to 1st of 2 8ohm speaker inputs and 3 visible valves are lit but the 4th is dead. Behind these 4 are 1 and then another 4 sealed in metal casing valves. If the 3 are on would that suggest fuse is ok? Obviously I need at least one new valve but I suspect this amp has never been recalled or serviced in 3 years...
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    The easiest thing would be to take it to an amp tech. It could be all manner of things!
    Yeah. I’ve got a couple of numbers of local amp techs and it’s probably worth the investment...
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3202
    edited December 2017
    1) I love your old head of music!
    2) Triple check the obvious (standby switch, valves, plugged into a speaker of the correct ohms). 
    3) Amp tech if stuck...although you might want to get the school to write it off as damaged/broken and offer them a nominal fee for taking it off their hands to ‘mess with’ (tenner). Then once it’s yours take it to the amp tech (I don’t know an incoming head of music that did this with lots of ‘stock’).
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    scarry67 said:
    It’s connected to 1st of 2 8ohm speaker inputs and 3 visible valves are lit but the 4th is dead. Behind these 4 are 1 and then another 4 sealed in metal casing valves. If the 3 are on would that suggest fuse is ok? Obviously I need at least one new valve but I suspect this amp has never been recalled or serviced in 3 years...
    NO.

The HT fuse can blow and the valves will still light up; I'm regularly told "the valves must be fine as they light up". All that tells you is that the filaments are fine and the filament supply is working.

Sounds to me that the valve that isn't lit up has expired and taken the HT fuse out with it.

The HT fuse is accessible from the back of the amp.

Sounds to me you will need some new valves and an HT fuse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    +1 for the suggestions from jpf, there are a couple of small complications on the TH30, if I recall correctly, it has a full / half power standby switch, which reduces the HT voltage, and a two / four tube selector switch on the back, does changing those make any difference to the output (or lack of it!) in any event one EL84 sounds like it Is dead ( and it would be good practise to change all four) and the HT fuse is definitely A suspect.
    I’m going to buy some fuses & valves and attempt fix. Will report back if successful or contact tech. 
    Can’t even get the bloody ht fuse out! Turns a bit but won’t pop out. Not a good start...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    scarry67 said:
    Can’t even get the bloody ht fuse out! Turns a bit but won’t pop out. Not a good start...
    That’s common with them. You can do it easily if you take the chassis out, you can push it out with a small screwdriver. If you don’t want to do that, the tip of the corkscrew on a Swiss Army knife will hook it and pull it out if you’re careful.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

And it’s up and running. New fuse & 2 valves. Bloody loud but Dirty channel is quite usable and sounds even better with OD pedal thickening it. Just wondering if a passive volume pedal in fx loop simply reduces loudness or does it allow for “better” sound?