Lots of new pickup stuff from Alegree (consolidated staple thread)

What's Hot
AlegreeAlegree Frets: 354
edited December 2017 in Made in the UK
(Consolidating all my new stuff into the previous staple P90 thread)

Chameleons are here!
I set out months ago to create the most versatile humbuckers ever, and I'm very pleased with the result. Providing Strat, Tele bridge, Jazzmaster neck, P90, split PAF, PAF, and high output humbucker tones, there's nothing that these pickups can't do. I'm of the opinion that I've succeeded in achieving all these modes without compromise, and I'll be releasing a video demo for the sceptics shortly where I put them through their paces in everything from country to metal.




I'll be putting all my P90 winds available in staple format.



New stamped baseplates and lasered flatworks are here. Now all my pickups* look at good as they sound.
*soapbar baseplates coming shortly



Single coil sized humbuckers are returning! 
A while ago I made a couple of models of these, but quickly learned that they'd easily fall apart - not a good first impression to give. I pulled them in order to redesign them to be more durable, and they now return. The bobbin size is a bit different from before, so they'll require some R&D to recreate my earlier designs. Expect some soon!
Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 1354
    Mojo do them too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 5412
    TheMarlin said:
    Mojo do them too
    Not on their website...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 643
    Do the staple poles sound different? They look cool. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 354
    bbill335 said:
    Do the staple poles sound different? They look cool. 
    They'll have the same affect as alnico rods in Strat/Tele pickups.
    They'll produce a brighter, clearer pickup than their true P90 counterparts.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 1232
    Do these have the correct magnet structure and individual height adjustment like the originals or are they like the Lollar/Thorn/Mojo/Creamery ones which are just fixed staple magnets on a P90 coil and baseplate?

    If you’re doing them properly I’d be interested
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 354
    RiftAmps said:
    Do these have the correct magnet structure and individual height adjustment like the originals or are they like the Lollar/Thorn/Mojo/Creamery ones which are just fixed staple magnets on a P90 coil and baseplate?

    If you’re doing them properly I’d be interested
    Now that you've come to mention it, I think I may just be able to make them with adjustable magnets.
    It wouldn't look like the normal mechanism, but I think I can devise my own that would work in the same way.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 1639
    edited December 2017
    Look good.  I'm sure they'll sound great as well.

    Do you have any plans to make them for a HB sized route at any time? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 8900
    Good lad. :)

    is the cover 3d printed?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 8900
    TheMarlin said:
    Mojo do them too
    Do they?  He wasn’t last time I asked, but had been researching them
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 8900
    RiftAmps said:
    Do these have the correct magnet structure and individual height adjustment like the originals or are they like the Lollar/Thorn/Mojo/Creamery ones which are just fixed staple magnets on a P90 coil and baseplate?

    If you’re doing them properly I’d be interested
    I have not seen them from Mojo or creamery???

    personally, i am more interested in the fixed magnet approach than the original adjustable ones... They are unreliable and often microphonic.   but i do like that they have a baseplate and think i would want that on a simpler version

    I posted these two pics n my les paul ideas thread



    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 354
    Look good.  I'm sure they'll sound great as well.

    Do you have any plans to make them for a HB sized route at any time? 
    WezV said:
    Good lad. :)

    is the cover 3d printed?
    I could probably manipulate the design to make it into a humbucker sized package to custom order without too much difficulty.

    The whole thing is 3D printed. Once I've got to grips with the software, there won't be much I can't do to custom order.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • WezV said:
    RiftAmps said:
    Do these have the correct magnet structure and individual height adjustment like the originals or are they like the Lollar/Thorn/Mojo/Creamery ones which are just fixed staple magnets on a P90 coil and baseplate?

    If you’re doing them properly I’d be interested
    I have not seen them from Mojo or creamery???

    personally, i am more interested in the fixed magnet approach than the original adjustable ones... They are unreliable and often microphonic.   but i do like that they have a baseplate and think i would want that on a simpler version

    I posted these two pics n my les paul ideas thread



    Agree.  The adjustable versions require additional routing/more wood to be taken out than a normal P90 which is something not everyone would want to do - I'd prefer a non adjustable one even if the tonality isn't 100% authentic. 

    Mojo Marc AFAIK had a Dynasonic pickup in the works and has something which looks a bit similar but different nonetheless which is Teisco Hound Dog - which has square block pieces not rectangular ones. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 354
    Thread now consolidated with all the new and upcoming stuff.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 369
    edited December 2017
    Will you be doing a Tele bridge sized humbucker? 

    The facebook link in your profile doesn't work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 354
    Elwood said:
    Will you be doing a Tele bridge sized humbucker? 

    The facebook link in your profile doesn't work.
    Yes I should be able to make some bases for the Strat ones suitable for Tele bridge.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 354
    Elwood said:
    Will you be doing a Tele bridge sized humbucker? 

    The facebook link in your profile doesn't work.
    Also got the Facebook link working - thanks for the heads up.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 1603
    Been looking at your stuff: looks the business. Are you planning any more of those sexy looking wood veneer humbucker sized Filtertrons? Thinking of turning a thinline Tele into as near as dammit the newly advertised Super Deluxe model...


    Self-confessed Blues Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 354
    JerkMoans said:
    Been looking at your stuff: looks the business. Are you planning any more of those sexy looking wood veneer humbucker sized Filtertrons? Thinking of turning a thinline Tele into as near as dammit the newly advertised Super Deluxe model...


    Thanks!

    I've just taken a delivery of the covers, so the design is here to stay - here's a set the way I'll typically be making them https://www.alegree.co.uk/collections/clearance-section/products/humbucker-sized-filtertron-set

    I'm sure I can get more veneers from my supplier on request.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 1603
    Alegree said:

    Thanks!

    I've just taken a delivery of the covers, so the design is here to stay - here's a set the way I'll typically be making them https://www.alegree.co.uk/collections/clearance-section/products/humbucker-sized-filtertron-set

    I'm sure I can get more veneers from my supplier on request.
    You interest me strangely...  Just really liking the retro wood effect.

    Now here's a thing.  The stock Fender widerange pickups that I'm thinking of replacing have 4 screws apiece attaching them to the scratchplate/guard.  Yours (and indeed many other) HB pups have lugs for just one screw each side.  Is there an easy way to square that with some sort of bracket, or are we into drilling holes in the guard territory (which I don't mind doing, but it then leaves the unsightly mess of the original mounting holes...)

    I might have a poke around your site for inspiration with my cup of covfefe.
    Self-confessed Blues Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 354
    JerkMoans said:
    Alegree said:

    Thanks!

    I've just taken a delivery of the covers, so the design is here to stay - here's a set the way I'll typically be making them https://www.alegree.co.uk/collections/clearance-section/products/humbucker-sized-filtertron-set

    I'm sure I can get more veneers from my supplier on request.
    You interest me strangely...  Just really liking the retro wood effect.

    Now here's a thing.  The stock Fender widerange pickups that I'm thinking of replacing have 4 screws apiece attaching them to the scratchplate/guard.  Yours (and indeed many other) HB pups have lugs for just one screw each side.  Is there an easy way to square that with some sort of bracket, or are we into drilling holes in the guard territory (which I don't mind doing, but it then leaves the unsightly mess of the original mounting holes...)

    I might have a poke around your site for inspiration with my cup of covfefe.
    They're intended to be a drop in fit for standard humbuckers, wide range humbuckers have completely different coil and cover dimensions.

    You're going to have a very hard time finding a Filtertron in a wide range size. Your best option is a pickguard designed for standard humbuckers in my opinion.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 1603
    Alegree said:
    They're intended to be a drop in fit for standard humbuckers, wide range humbuckers have completely different coil and cover dimensions.

    You're going to have a very hard time finding a Filtertron in a wide range size. Your best option is a pickguard designed for standard humbuckers in my opinion.
    OK!  Now I'm certainly better informed!  Thanks for your time, and wisdoms all round!
    Self-confessed Blues Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 643
    They're not staples but I have a set of your Sea Smokes in my Vintage[JHS] Mick Abrahams SG Special and they sound incredible. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 354
    bbill335 said:
    They're not staples but I have a set of your Sea Smokes in my Vintage[JHS] Mick Abrahams SG Special and they sound incredible. 
    Thanks. They'll be joining the staple family along with my other P90 models as soon as I sort out this warping issue!

    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 3246
    Alegree said:
    Single coil sized humbuckers are returning! ... The bobbin size is a bit different from before, so they'll require some R&D to recreate my earlier designs. Expect some soon!
    Any progress with the Rails type pickups? (They do not appear on your web site.)

    I'm looking for something to go in an old Ibanez RS405. Slightly over-sized pickups would probably fit perfectly in the stock Ibanez pickguard. I have nothing against prototypes. ;)
    "It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 354
    edited January 30
    Alegree said:
    Single coil sized humbuckers are returning! ... The bobbin size is a bit different from before, so they'll require some R&D to recreate my earlier designs. Expect some soon!
    Any progress with the Rails type pickups? (They do not appear on your web site.)

    I'm looking for something to go in an old Ibanez RS405. Slightly over-sized pickups would probably fit perfectly in the stock Ibanez pickguard. I have nothing against prototypes.
    To be honest I'm happy with the very first prototype I made right there. It absolutely nails the Maiden hair metal type tone. I've just not found the time to put it on my website yet; business has been chaotic since Christmas.  Depends what position you're putting it in though - at 21k it sounds colossal. Not nearly as dark as a 21k standard sized humbucker though, even on 250k pots. 
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.