Classic vibe Tele body - strip it or swap it?

What's Hot
I’ve got a off white Tele body - I hoped the pics were pale and it was more blonde but it’s more off an off white colour - vintage white?  

Its nice enough but I’m not a fan - I nearly bought the blue Top Tele screlics recently did but probably want a see through butterscotch finish.   

Any ideas how good the wood will be underneath and if it’s worth stripping and redoing or is the poly (I assume) a pain to get off and I should sell it and get something else?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    If the paint colour is your only objection, simply exchange your CV Tele for another in a preferred colour.

A serious strip and refinish job could cost more than your entire guitar.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    If the paint colour is your only objection, simply exchange your CV Tele for another in a preferred colour.

It’s a body I bought for a project and I’d do the work myself do the cost isn’t an issue - just curious if anyone had stripped one to find its blockboard and needs a solid coat or a two piece that looked ok. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12356
    John_P said:

It’s a body I bought for a project and I’d do the work myself do the cost isn’t an issue - just curious if anyone had stripped one to find its blockboard and needs a solid coat or a two piece that looked ok. 
    If its just the colour and not a nitro finish you are after you could rough up the poly and spray paint it.  I spray painted a squier standard strat surf green and it turned out fine. 3 coats of spray paint and 4 coats of spray on poly.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I stripped and refinished mine a few years ago and the grain looked pretty nice when it was stained.  Unfortunately I'm going to have to redo it soon because the stain I used has faded badly in the sun.

I sanded mine but I stripped a different body after that using a heat gun and it was much quicker.

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    John_P said:
    It's a body I bought for a project
    The simplest solution is to trade for a body of equal quality in the early Fifties custard yellow Blonde colour.

Fender has applied the appellation Blonde to several, quite different shades of semi-transparent not-quite-white.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited December 2017
    Poly does come off with a heat gun, it's not rocket science and I'm sure you'd be capable. 

I'm with @Funkfingers though, for the sake of the ballache I'd flog it and source a different one. 

Unless you fancy the project for the sake of summat to do with your time, in which case have at it. 

I can't remember if I said this to to someone else the other day - if you do strip it watch you don't nick the roundovers. You're after a semi natural finish so you don't want a load of car body epoxy showing through. 
  • Sham61Sham61 Frets: 26
    I stripped a CV50 a few years ago with a blowtorch. Probably not the best idea but the poly was very thick. It softened it enough to scrap it off, I then sanded it with an orbital sander. The body was made of 4 pieces if I remember. I refinished with some Wudtone and a few coats of clear lacquer. Looked OK in a sort of punkish way.

• ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    Here's myTele Modern  Player  plus  in eye catching red..
    https://imgur.com/a/xKXug

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="t7RsMEg"><a href="//imgur.com/t7RsMEg">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    @Clashman ; here you go. And it looks great in red
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    Thanks BM I  can't get this photo link thing right lol.

I mixed drawing ink that cost £2 with  teak wood dye to get the dark rustic red.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    That looks nice.   Looks like the wood underneath is probably ok if I did go for a see through butterscotch.  

I was was thinking today I wouldn’t mind a gold top with faux binding but that will be a little more involved than a straight recolour.