SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD vintage 4 x 12 with vintage Hiwatt Fane drivers 8 ohm £300 - UPDATED to show driver cone

oktorocktooktorockto Frets: 86
edited September 2018 in Amps £

I put this together for a Who tribute band but I have left the band and it is unusual to find the need for two x 4x12s in most bands! I actually only ever used one. There is a small chunk out of the board at the back of the cab but this doesn't affect it in any way. I want £300 for it which is basically the cost of putting it together - the cab didn't cost me much but adding all the other bits and the drivers bumped it up obviously without all the work I put into it. The silicone is to seal the edges and a few small screw holes in the baffle board.

The speakers are 8 ohm each wired in parallel/series to give a total speaker load of 8 ohms. This is quite handy if you want to use an attenuator, as I did, as these are often 8 ohm versions as most combos are 8 ohms. This means you can share the attenuator between a head with 4 x 12 and a combo.

It is a cab you don't have to worry about getting roughed up too badly and the speakers inside will only appreciate in value over the years. Price is PP gift - I could possibly deliver for the return fuel cost - I'm in Kent.

You can hear the cab in these videos below if you can put up with my dodgy playing:

https://www.facebook.com/scakir1/videos/10155692120684243/
https://www.facebook.com/WHOAREYOU.UK.WHO.TRIBUTE/videos/890267724474418/?fre

Pics below:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• davedavedavedave Frets: 114
    Just a bit of extra info for you regarding those speakers. That designation Fane is what was used in Orange Matamp cabs from 68-72. Those ones were on white painted cast chassis and don’t have whizzer  cones. 
    I’ve also seen them in a tatty 68 Hiwatt 4x12. It was the one with the aluminium badge and shredded herringbone cloth on Gumtree about a year back. 
    I believe Simms Watts used them too. 
    They’re brilliant speakers. Glwts. 
  • oktorocktooktorockto Frets: 86
    edited September 2018
    As you can tell from the video, they sound pretty convincing with my Hiwatt head. It is an original 76 ish DR103 with good NOS Tesla valves - I have run the amp on modern valves for the past 15 years but the Teslas have absolutely brought it alive. If nobody buys this I'll probably take the drivers out, mothball them and sell the cab.
    I’ve got two White branded quads of these with whizzer cones that I’ve been thinking of circumcising. The quad in the 72 cab at on cast chassis but the 74 are on pressed. Might see if I can get to it over Christmas. 
    I wouldn’t blame you if you did keep them. They’re hard to find. You’ll pull them out in a couple of years and be well chuffed! 
    If you’re keeping the dr103 you’ll miss them. 
  • I still have another cab with a quad of cast chassis ones! 
    edited September 2018

edited September 2018

edited September 2018

• By the way, some of these whizzer cones have an extended voice coil former that juts out and would stop you fitting a dust cap - only one set of mine was like that. I used a small Dremel with a Carborundum disc and carefully cut it off all the way round until it was like a normal driver's voice coil former. I had heard this couldn't be done so of course i had to do it. As long as you are super careful it is amazing what you can achieve.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30916

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Bumpety bump
  • I have yet to hear a 4x12 that looks and sounds as imposing as a Hiwatt se.. Currently have one sitting underneath a 100wFriedman and it sounds divine! Someone is in for a serious treat here :) Glws...
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Ta very much. Yes, I don't have much room for this but I'll keep it if I have to!
  • Think this has gone - hopefully update next week