Out of phase issue with blender

What's Hot
lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
Mosquite blender with 3 pedals in the loop (univibe, tremolo, Reverb) have different phase settings requiring me to switch the phase depending on the pedal. Is there a clever fix? the vibe is wired 18v centre positive; could that be part of the problem?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Answer: ‘it’s a crap shoot’.
    http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/blending.shtml
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72337
    lukedlb said:

Is there a clever fix? the vibe is wired 18v centre positive; could that be part of the problem?
    No, and no.

Some pedals reverse phase when on. The only fix is to fit an inverting buffer (or audio transformer, if you prefer) inside the pedal to correct it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    lukedlb said:

Is there a clever fix? the vibe is wired 18v centre positive; could that be part of the problem?
    No, and no.

Some pedals reverse phase when on. The only fix is to fit an inverting buffer (or audio transformer, if you prefer) inside the pedal to correct it.
    Where could I get one of these for an internal pedal solution?
    lukedlb said:

Where could I get one of these for an internal pedal solution?
    Something like this should work - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/audio-transformers/1237207/

Glue it to the inside of the casing somewhere and connect it between the output of the effect circuit and the switch, if the switch is separate - if it isn't then it becomes more difficult since you'll need to find where to break the circuit.

An inverting buffer is pretty easy to build on stripboard using either an IC or a single transistor.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28197
    Geofex has a schematic for a switchable buffer - one pole switch makes it invert or not.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    edited December 2017

You need a '600 Ohm' 1 to 1 output transformer. OEP electronics have the 1200 . The specc looks ghastly for 'hi fi' but is fine for the frequency range of guitar and the neg ten'ish levels.

Actually have a couple somewhere, shout and I will Jiffy.

Dave.

ecc83 said:

You need a '600 Ohm' 1 to 1 output transformer. OEP electronics have the 1200 . The specc looks ghastly for 'hi fi' but is fine for the frequency range of guitar and the neg ten'ish levels.

Actually have a couple somewhere, shout and I will Jiffy.

Dave.

Dave, thank you. Once I get the pedal order fixed, I will contact you.
    Strangely, I discovered that although the tremolo and reverb pedals require separate phase settings, they work together. So the phase issue does not effect successive pedals, only the first in the queue (all turned on of course).
    lukedlb said:

Strangely, I discovered that although the tremolo and reverb pedals require separate phase settings, they work together. So the phase issue does not effect successive pedals, only the first in the queue (all turned on of course).
    No, that's because two phase reversals is the same as no phase reversal. A phase reversal is a phase reversal, it always affects what follows it as well.