how do I build up speed for solos?

What's Hot
anyone recommend exercises for building speed?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like Guthrie but that video is a bit naff. Nothing wrong with the teaching but whoever was in charge of cameras wants *******
    Why zoom in on the stationary fretting hand when you are demonstrating right hand picking technique lol

I prefer this one

I like Guthrie but that video is a bit naff. Nothing wrong with the teaching but whoever was in charge of cameras wants *******
    Why zoom in on the stationary fretting hand when you are demonstrating right hand picking technique lol

I prefer this one

Fair point - I still think his advice is well thought out and excellent though, I posted that one because it really helped me with my own picking and speed.
  • Another troll, but it's a legit topic for discussion.  

Given what we now know about picking, the advice of "start off slow and build up" is redundant.  The movements your hand make when playing slow are completely different than when you're playing fast.  You're better working on things at moderate speeds and once you have the movements down worry about cleaning up your playing.  

It's best to work on trem picking on one string, to build up some kind of speed that way, then work on simple patterns, like the six note Yngwie pattern, on one string.  This will get your hands locked together.  After that you can then move on to playing patterns across strings and work on getting your hands synched up together when changing strings.

However, there is another problem and that is changing strings.  You have to work out if you're an upward pick slanter or a downward pick slanter.  Whichever one of these you are will greatly affect the orientation of your lines and if you're better changing strings after a downstroke or up stroke.  Once you work this out, you are half way there and your speed will increase very quickly.  

• Megii said:

Fair point - I still think his advice is well thought out and excellent though, I posted that one because it really helped me with my own picking and speed.
    Don't get me wrong, I was criticising the Video makers, not Mr Govan or his advice.
    Megii said:

Don't get me wrong, I was criticising the Video makers, not Mr Govan or his advice.
    No worries mate - you're absolutely right about the video production, and certainly not saying it's the only thing worth watching either. Just thought it worth posting all the same really. :)
  • Shawn Lane talking about speed and advising _not_ to start off slow.

Given what we now know about picking, the advice of "start off slow and build up" is redundant.  The movements your hand make when playing slow are completely different than when you're playing fast.  You're better working on things at moderate speeds and once you have the movements down worry about cleaning up your playing.  

It's best to work on trem picking on one string, to build up some kind of speed that way, then work on simple patterns, like the six note Yngwie pattern, on one string.  This will get your hands locked together.  After that you can then move on to playing patterns across strings and work on getting your hands synched up together when changing strings...
    I agree to a certain extent, if it's picking motor skills that are limiting speed. But I find it helps to slow down a complex line and get it in my head, then up build speed slowly, in my fretting hand development. At one point I realised that running out of knowing what notes to play was limiting my speed on extended phrases (as opposed to repeated short patterns, which can be easier), so I need to get the extended phrase (spanning multiple CAGED patterns) in my head slowly.

Also, I get benefit from practicing legato at slow controlled speeds with defined rhythmic patterns (ie semiquavers or semiquavers triplets), as a supplement to what I often do with legato, which is to float over the beat.
    It's not a competition.

It's best to work on trem picking on one string, to build up some kind of speed that way, then work on simple patterns, like the six note Yngwie pattern, on one string.  This will get your hands locked together.  After that you can then move on to playing patterns across strings and work on getting your hands synched up together when changing strings...
    I agree to a certain extent, if it's picking motor skills that are limiting speed. But I find it helps to slow down a complex line and get it in my head, then up build speed slowly, in my fretting hand development. At one point I realised that running out of knowing what notes to play was limiting my speed on extended phrases (as opposed to repeated short patterns, which can be easier), so I need to get the extended phrase (spanning multiple CAGED patterns) in my head slowly.

Also, I get benefit from practicing legato at slow controlled speeds with defined rhythmic patterns (ie semiquavers or semiquavers triplets), as a supplement to what I often do with legato, which is to float over the beat.
    yeah, practice slow to get the patterns under your fingers but don't spend days increasing your metronome in 5bpm notches because your muscle memory will have the slower, jerky movements drilled in and it will be very hard to shift away from these. Plus, by doing this a player is spending more time playing slow than playing at moderate tempos and honing their actual speed picking technique.  
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    I always thought it was accuracy above all else then speed  will come ? 
  • vizviz Frets: 10693
    edited December 2017
    JAYJO said:
    I think that’s the traditional way but now it seems bursts are the thing. I don’t know but I cerainly think tunefulness is more important than speed. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    viz said:
    JAYJO said:
    I think that’s the traditional way but now it seems bursts are the thing. I don’t know but I cerainly think tunefulness is more important than speed. 
     Thats good to because im awful at speed picking. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Another troll, but it's a legit topic for discussion.  

I sort of agree iff all you want is one speed but seen as though music is in all tempos it makes sense to learn in all tempos ...
    Iv  actually seen guitarists that can pick very quickly but not good at all at intermediate speeds ...as you say each way requires a different technique and in order to manage this we really need to cover the slight differences....that's just my opinion btw :)!
  • OnTheRopesOnTheRopes Frets: 44
    edited December 2017
  • That sounds awful TBH.  
  • That sounds awful TBH.  
    yes it does, but he is worth a closer look at some of his other videos
  • That sounds awful TBH.  
    yes it does, but he is worth a closer look at some of his other videos
    I use to watch him, but now I just stick with Troy Grady's stuff for technique.  I'm not really interested in expanding my theory at the moment, but I know Pebber has loads of theory vids.