Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

This ****ing Les Paul! Help?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    It’s also down to having a correctly cut nut and people using the right tools for the job. It might seem expensive to blow @£130 on a proper set of nut files but I have had my set for over 15 years and they have more than paid for themselves
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    sweepy said:
    It’s also down to having a correctly cut nut and people using the right tools for the job. It might seem expensive to blow @£130 on a proper set of nut files but I have had my set for over 15 years and they have more than paid for themselves
    I'd definitely recommend the investment in the nut files.

I put it off for a long time because I ready claims on the internet that it's very difficult to use them properly and it's easy to ruin nuts.

But then I put a couple of guitars in for a full setup (mainly to get the nut cut as I can do everything else myself) and they came back with the nut still too high - I don't think it was even touched to be honest; felt like I'd burned over 100 quid.

So I decided to bite the bullet and buy the nut files for bass and fix the nuts on my basses and, touch wood, there was no problems introduced. Will definitely be buying the guitar set too. If only I'd bit the bullet before putting them in for the setup they'd have practically paid for themselves.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    I use the Bill Baker method, making a "Z" in the string before you even wind it on. Combined with a bit of nut lube and some string stretching I can get through at least 8-10 songs in a sweaty pub without even needing to check the tuning, even in a twin guitar band. 

That's with a crappy stock Gibson nut, a crappy short tenon and crappy 9-42s, proving that most of the things you "need" for a stable Les Paul are nonsense.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited December 2017
    p90fool said:
    I use the Bill Baker method, making a "Z" in the string before you even wind it on. Combined with a bit of nut lube and some string stretching I can get through at least 8-10 songs in a sweaty pub without even needing to check the tuning, even in a twin guitar band. 

That's with a crappy stock Gibson nut, a crappy short tenon and crappy 9-42s, proving that most of the things you "need" for a stable Les Paul are nonsense.  

Doesn't prove anything except it works on your guitar without further modification. I have always used thst method as it's what my dad taught me. It did not work on my lp till I had the nut recut as ICBM described.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    TBH, I'm surprised that John at Noiseworks can't sort it - the man is a genius/legend.

My own Les Paul will do a whole gig without needing tuning, playing high energy punk, new wave and ska, so its *NOTHING* to do with the design. Lets just park that, please...

It sounds to me like a nut issue, if the strings are going sharp - ie, the machine heads are pulling the string tight, but its binding in the nut and then releasing. If you tune *up* to a note each time (ie if you go sharp, drop back and bring it back up), this can mask the symptom on a poorly cut nut.

I'd also question how close the pickups are to the strings. If you are audibly tuning (seriously? just buy a clip on tuner, dude!!) this can throw out harmonic tuning (assuming this is how you are doing it).

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blimey there must be a conspiracy String Butler anyone got the same in my inbox

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    A friend brought a LP to me as he was having similar issues. I went through everything and it still went out of tune.

I even posted a video on here demonstrating how it was. 

It it turned out to be the truss rod. It had zero tension on it, so only the wood was maintaining the tension. Once I put some tension on the rod, the guitar stabilised.

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    The string butler looks distinctly fugly. It may or may not work but I can't see it appearing on any of my headstocks soon
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10381
    tFB Trader
    Never had an issue with keeping LPs in tune, but then I usually tweak em somewhat. I usually fit locking tuners, regularly lube nut slots, and with a couple I've had, fit roller bridges (I bloody hate those pointy saddles).
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    p90fool said:

Doesn't prove anything except it works on your guitar without further modification. I have always used thst method as it's what my dad taught me. It did not work on my lp till I had the nut recut as ICBM described.
    Well it's worked on about my last 30 guitars, but you're right, some do need a gentle tweak in the nut area before they behave, just like their owners. 
    :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    impmann said:
    TBH, I'm surprised that John at Noiseworks can't sort it - the man is a genius/legend.

My own Les Paul will do a whole gig without needing tuning, playing high energy punk, new wave and ska, so its *NOTHING* to do with the design. Lets just park that, please...

It sounds to me like a nut issue, if the strings are going sharp - ie, the machine heads are pulling the string tight, but its binding in the nut and then releasing. If you tune *up* to a note each time (ie if you go sharp, drop back and bring it back up), this can mask the symptom on a poorly cut nut.

I'd also question how close the pickups are to the strings. If you are audibly tuning (seriously? just buy a clip on tuner, dude!!) this can throw out harmonic tuning (assuming this is how you are doing it).

He's blind. A dozen clip-on tuners wouldn't help him.