Barre Chord Progressions / bending vibrato

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
Finally got my head around the I - IV - V etc system of numbering barre chord progressions. I know it's basic stuff but I was previously thinking in terms of chord tones...

Anyhow, as I was looking at these and then found my barre chord position really helped with bending vibrato. This is something I've really struggled with and watched loads of YouTube tutorials and had a couple of teachers look at live, none of that's really helped and I was doing vibrato with just my fingers. 

Previously instruction said -  you want to pivot from the side of the bottom knuckle of the index finger. In reality it is more from the palm of that same knuckle than the side, at least that's how I'd describe it. 

The barre chord practice really helped to get my hand holding the neck I'm the right position - deeper into my hand. 

When I pivot from that same knuckle but with the palm on the neck, the wrist / elbow / arm all work effortlessly and there is much more control over bends and vibrato. 

Tiny adjustment, massive results. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Good one! I know from my own experience that these little insights and jumps in progress feel very satisfying. Best thing is, it never ends :-).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    It is great when something just 'clicks' like this - mentally or physically.

Now can't stop playing barre chords and re-looking at everything I've learned before. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Thumb up and down the neck, not at an angle - I have bad arthritis in my thumb because of years of poor barre technique. Rarely play barre chords these days
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback