High quality cables?

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
I forget the accepted answer -

I'm after a couple of high quality instrument cables - preferably with a right angle connector on one end - what's the right answer?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    I get all mine from here:
    https://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html#instrument-cables

Never had had an issue with them!.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Design a Cable through Amazon, you get loads of choice, if you need something more specific you can order directly through them but it costs a bit more. 
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    poopot said:
    I get all mine from here:
    https://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html#instrument-cables

Never had had an issue with them!.
    Me too. Nary a problem in over 10 years. 

I always order one right-angle end, plus colour-coded jack rings so it's easy to grab the right assortment of lengths for the gig. 
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Reference cables for me. 
  • Not sure about the quality - but certainly been around for a while:

http://www.vincecable.org/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    Make sure you *don't* get Fender Custom Shop cables unless you want to replace the plugs. I’ve got another batch of them to do for a customer... the cable itself is good, but the plugs are appalling.

They’ve even worse than Planet Waves, and I’ve seen loads of faulty ones of those too - “lifetime warranty” isn’t much use when they die at a gig.

Any properly-made cables with Neutrik or Switchcraft plugs will be fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Make sure you *don't* get Fender Custom Shop cables unless you want to replace the plugs. I’ve got another batch of them to do for a customer... the cable itself is good, but the plugs are appalling.

They’ve even worse than Planet Waves, and I’ve seen loads of faulty ones of those too - “lifetime warranty” isn’t much use when they die at a gig.

I've been using fender custom shop cables for over 4 years. At one point they were gigged twice every week for a year solid.
    They are still absolutely fine. They also have anlife time warranty I believe.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Thanks for the info folks - looks like I need to get some  of those award-session ones ordered up.
  • Mogami cables. Have been using them since 2011 and never had an issue with them. Clear tone all the time. Make sure you coil them up properly as well.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I always go for low capacitance.  I once AB'd blind all my cables straight into the amp and the results were interesting. Klotz LaGrange was decent for cable you could buy by the metre. George L's were good as we're Providence and Lava.  Most cheap noname cable was dire. DAP audio and Van Damme instrument were only just acceptable. 

The very best was Van Damme Silver Series Lo-Cap but it was basically unusable. Wouldn't fit into  Neutrik jack and was like towing a ferry. 

So everything is a compromise, all the very good sounding cables were difficult to use in some manner though the Providence are great and my personal favourite.  The best from a usability point of view is a Fender cloth covered cable, it just handles beautifully but sonically it's very average and as @ICBM says, probably suspect construction.if I was going to gig with it I'd swap the ends for Neutrik. 
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Sommer do some good very low capacitance cable types, and I know Design A Cable will make you up a nice guitar lead using that with Neutrik jacks.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:

Interesting you should say that, the main cable I use is Fender Custom Shop and was planning on buying more. Mine has always been fine but only had it about a year. The plastic has slightly broken but not the electrical connections.

How many, roughly, have you seen that are bad?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    For years I have been repeatedly "birched" for even suggesting that cables could affect the sound output. Now it seems that some people are looking beyond the terminations and assessing the sound of the cable itself. I welcome this development, not so that I am proved right, but that players are actually listening to the sounds they make. And noting how elements in their setup can alter that sound.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    For years I have been repeatedly "birched" for even suggesting that cables could affect the sound output. Now it seems that some people are looking beyond the terminations and assessing the sound of the cable itself. I welcome this development, not so that I am proved right, but that players are actually listening to the sounds they make. And noting how elements in their setup can alter that sound.
    -no, you've been birched for being a troll who pretends not to understand the placebo effect or double blind testing despite them both being explained to you dozens of times and making nonsensical, unverifiable and frankly just plain wrong claims about all sorts of audiophile guff like power cables for your hifi affecting the sound.

Capacitance of guitar cables is actually a thing. You can measure the effect. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Rocker said:
    -no, you've been birched for being a troll who pretends not to understand the placebo effect or double blind testing despite them both being explained to you dozens of times and making nonsensical, unverifiable and frankly just plain wrong claims about all sorts of audiophile guff like power cables for your hifi affecting the sound.

Capacitance of guitar cables is actually a thing. You can measure the effect. 
    The old placebo effect.

It's so prominent in audio that anyone who isn't fully aware and very mindful of it can end up believing a lot of pretty wild ideas.

Any of you who do a bit of mixing might be able to relate - there have been plenty of times I've sat tweaking the EQ settings etc. thinking I hear a difference then when I blind test myself to make sure, the difference is gone. The thing is, some people who aren't aware of this will just go on to believe how much difference that actually made.
  • Sniff... sniff... do I detect a whiff of cork? ;0

"When the train, it left the station, there was two lights on behind,
    Well, the blue light was my baby, and the red light was my mind.”
    Robert Johnson
    Sniff... sniff... do I detect a whiff of cork? ;0

I'm more interested in no crackle to be honest!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    The Fender custom shop cables I have seen and repaired are terrible in design .... cheap jacks with shit strain relief and the normal crimped tip connector failure point. Covered in heatsink with Fender printed on it. They break all the time in my experience, especially the ones which have the wires cut too short as the strain relief is basically yanking on the solder joint from new .... I saw one fail on it's second gig !! 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Ever thought about  making them yourself? Soldering is a skill that every guitarist should try and learn. It'll save you a fortune and you can be self sufficient.
    Wolfetone said:
    Ever thought about  making them yourself? Soldering is a skill that every guitarist should try and learn. It'll save you a fortune and you can be self sufficient.
    I can solder. 

I cannot, however, be arsed :D
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom