Gary Moore ft. Philip Lynott - Out In The Fields

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2608
edited December 2017 in Music tFB Trader

Interesting he seems to be using one of those SynthAxe guitars...  I wonder if he actually recorded with it or it was just for the video?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Just for the video I think

That solo, I was in a Thin Lizzy tribute and we used to cover that and Parisian Walkways etc. I spent age's on that solo trying to achieve the same speed and precision but couldn't get close ...... never seen any live footage of him getting close either, I think it's comped 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    That solo is a pig and one I didn’t enjoy playing when the drummer was playing at gig speed!     Great song. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    He did dabble with the Synth Axe, it popped up now and again, he even used one of the original Hagstrom scanned fretboard synths back then as well
  • I love that solo!  I think the original is around the 160bpm.  I honestly don't think that he alternate picked the whole thing as 16ths at 160bpm is exceptionally fast.  If you arrange your picked lines and the number of notes on the string to suit your picking style, and add in legato to help you, you will have a convincing version of it. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10693
    edited December 2017
    Danny1969 said:
    Just for the video I think

That solo, I was in a Thin Lizzy tribute and we used to cover that and Parisian Walkways etc. I spent age's on that solo trying to achieve the same speed and precision but couldn't get close ...... never seen any live footage of him getting close either, I think it's comped 
    It’s virtually the same as Crushing Day by Satch at 3:15. Anyway it’s a piece of cake  (not really, I used to have it quite well licked but I’m sure I could never do it now) - though it sounds like Gary Moore plays it with all downstrokes, such is his attack - I’m sure he doesn’t but it has amazing sound. I reckon it’s legit. Anyway, check out 3:15:

https://youtu.be/eFRhmKuD9x8
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Rabs said:

These seem pretty close..

In both those examples the solo differs from the record around bar 12 \ 13 ... which is where I think the solo is joined together on the record
    I'm probably wrong but that's my gut feeling, not that it matters as there's many a great solo made from bits, comfortably numb, beat it etc
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    Rabs said:

These seem pretty close..

In both those examples the solo differs from the record around bar 12 \ 13 ... which is where I think the solo is joined together on the record
    I'm probably wrong but that's my gut feeling, not that it matters as there's many a great solo made from bits, comfortably numb, beat it etc

I must relisten to the record and try to isolate the solo using Transcribe! 

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Mannnnn I'd forgotten about this song. It's amazing 
  • Empty Rooms must be watched afterwards to chill out to...

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4920
    It wasn't an ft. it was an &; I don't think ft. had been invented back then.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2554
    It's a bastard of a solo to get right, I tried but gave up. I quite like the Run For Cover album, although it's nowhere near Corridors Of Power IMO. Military Man is a fave of mine, the two solos are classic Moore. Fun to play.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    One thing to always bear in mind when trying to work out Gary Moore guitar parts that he is a southpaw playing right handed so his dominant and most dextrous hand is on the fretboard and his picking hand which has a lot heavier touch tends to make his playing “edgier” . Watch some of the old Colosseum II stuff and you’ll see what I mean
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I loved that song when it came out. Great album, played it a lot.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14236
    tFB Trader
    recall sometime in the past Gary Moore stating in an interview that it was one of his favourite or finest solos
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    Great song!  I think I still have the 12" vinyl record of this, and the flip side has a beautiful version of 'Still in love with you'.  Slow tempo but an amazingly expressive guitar solo on it.
  • richh said:
    Great song!  I think I still have the 12" vinyl record of this, and the flip side has a beautiful version of 'Still in love with you'.  Slow tempo but an amazingly expressive guitar solo on it.
    Yeah that slow Still In Love solo has some of the tastiest stuff GM has ever played, one of my favourite solos from him.  Parts of it remind me of Larry Carlton, especially his playing over the funkier groove on the outro.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I managed to do the solo a number of years ago - never played it that well since :lol: I think I was 16 here. At this stage my V still had a white guard and humbuckers!

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2554
    richh said:
    Yeah that slow Still In Love solo has some of the tastiest stuff GM has ever played, one of my favourite solos from him.  Parts of it remind me of Larry Carlton, especially his playing over the funkier groove on the outro.
    I gave you a wis for this. I'd never heard that version before but I've been listening to it a lot over the past couple of days. Stunning solo, so tasteful.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    I've always loved the song buy never seen the video. Ye gads it's horrible! :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom