Cutting/routing a tele body

What's Hot
I saw @impmann 's awesome home built pine tele earlier (nice to meet you btw Tim) and it has inspired me! We have an old solid wood chest of drawers that came with the house we moved into. The top looks perfect for a couple of rustic looking body blanks - a little thin at 40mm but I can live with that. Not sure on what wood it is exactly so any tips for identifying would be great - pic below! I'm pretty sure it's not ply/mdf as the whole unit is way too heavy for that but will cut off a corner to check before I make a proper start.

Where would I even start with this? I'm handy enough at DIY and putting together/oil finishing parts guitars it's more the routing and making sure the neck and bridge are in alignment etc that I'd be worried about. Are there decent templates online so I can get it all spot on? What's the method - route first then jigsaw cut to shape, then sand and finish?

Here's an awful pic of the wood in question - https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1qeyzdw6w8s4kq/2017-12-29 20.42.05.jpg?dl=0
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments