Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Commonly Misused Phrases

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4982
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.
    15reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.
    What a load of dribble
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Keep in mind, too, that some of these common phrases you’ll won’t be able to hear the difference between the so-called “right” and “wrong” versions.

WTF?

And sometimes the “wrong” way to say something still has a perfectly legitimate meaning, even if it’s not the feeling you’re going for in that conversation.

But anyone with an ounce of education will know that you are talking shite.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Didn't click through all 36 slides, but is "flatters to deceive" there? I hate it when people use that because it always seems to be used illogically.
  • It literally decimates the English language
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Did you turn round before saying any of that?
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    At the risk of sounding a bit nationalistic here - that list is more or less a set of differences between British English and American English. Never heard a Brit say “I could care less.”, for example.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    AlexC said:
    At the risk of sounding a bit nationalistic here - that list is more or less a set of differences between British English and American English. Never heard a Brit say “I could care less.”, for example.
    Does "I could care less" mean it does bother you?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    The one that gets me is the (accusatory) use of "not".

eg. "Did you not think of that?"

I'm never sure whether the correct answer is "Yes" or "No", as in "Yes, I did not think of it..." or "No, I didn't not think of it...".
    prowla said:
    The one that gets me is the (accusatory) use of "not".

eg. "Did you not think of that?"

I'm never sure whether the correct answer is "Yes" or "No", as in "Yes, I did not think of it..." or "No, I didn't not think of it...".
    The correct answer is GFY
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexC said:
    Americans may say it differently, but it's stil incorrect
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Part of the reason people misuse phrases is they just don't listen properly anymore, it's in one ear, out your mother!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Can you be more pacific ?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    They're probably just deliberately flaunting the rules.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Fragrant case of elitist shrubbery
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    Work colleagues.

Thanks for explaining it's someone you work with .
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I've got a client who's favorite phrase is "it's a Mute Point". 

After you let if go the third time you just have to go with it. He uses it four to five times per meeting.

One day someone will tell him! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Dominic said:
    Can you be more pacific ?

Ugh. I hate that one too.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    A builder once told me he had almost been decaffeinated by a falling plank.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    While we're at it, writing "pup" when you want to say pickup.

It sends me into a blind rage and usually means I cease reading the thread at that point.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom