Pedalboard Tape

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 666
need some - is there a specific “brand” that’s better or worse than others?

i seen some on amazon that was listed as pedalboard tape, but then in the description it said it was Velcro???
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    "pedalboard tape" isn't really a formal definition of anything.

among us lot it does tend to imply 3M Dual Lock - but I've seen plenty of ebay and Amazon listings refer to sticky-backed velcro as pedalboard tape too. I don't think there is any attempt to deceive.

Anyway, you want Dual Lock 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 336
    edited January 2018
    It is Velcro. Velcro is a copyrighted brand name. What your looking for is a decent quality self-adhesive hook and loop tape. And always order a meter or two more than you think you'll need! If it's a Pedaltrain type board you're probably going to need 50mm wide. I find for the backs of pedals 20mm or 25mm works best...or you can cut down some left over 50mm...proper Blue Peter style! Also, you can sometimes save a few quid by just buying loop to cover the board, and seperately buy hook for the pedals as you'll usually need less for the pedals than you'll need to cover the board.

E.g. 4 meters of 50mm loop for the board and 2 meters of 20mm hook for the pedals costs less than 4 meters of 50mm loop AND hook. You might save enough to buy a decent patch cable or two!

I've always used the real Velcro stuff and I've never had a single problem. Beware of the really cheap stuff that doesn't stay stuck for very long! Buy too cheap and you might end up buying twice.

There's also some heavy duty options but I've always found these a bit overkill unless you're out on tour a lot or a busy working musician. The heavy duty stuff can be a pain to remove if you decide to start again from scratch!
  • Cheers guys.

its definitely dual lock I’m after, as this will be for mounting stuff underneath my board, and Velcro just doesn’t seem to cut it for that
    Cheers guys.

its definitely dual lock I’m after, as this will be for mounting stuff underneath my board, and Velcro just doesn’t seem to cut it for that

I'd definitely recommend you use cable ties or velcro ties or similar if youre mounting something underneath your board.

Even big elastic bands are better than nothing!

Gravity always wins! =)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Dual-lock laughs in the face of gravity.
    Sassafras said:
    Dual-lock laughs in the face of gravity.
    I refer to my previous statement!
  • Slimbert said:
    Cheers guys.

I'd definitely recommend you use cable ties or velcro ties or similar if youre mounting something underneath your board.

Gravity always wins! =)
    Cables ties are not gonna work at all for where these things needs mounted. I’ve also checked out using the mounting brackets that are available for the power supply I’ve bought but my pedalboard doesn’t allow this method to work either.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    It'll prob be fine, my power block's been Dual Locked under my board for 4-5 years. The real problem is if you overdo it, it's a bastard to get the thing off!
    Slimbert said:
    Cheers guys.

Gravity always wins! =)
    Cables ties are not gonna work at all for where these things needs mounted. I’ve also checked out using the mounting brackets that are available for the power supply I’ve bought but my pedalboard doesn’t allow this method to work either.

Pedaltrain make a universal mounting kit. It's basically two strips of slightly pliable metal and some screws.

I fitted a small ish power supply to the underside of a Pedaltrain and used Velcro to stop it sliding side to side, then used the universal mounting kit to hold it to the board. It hasn't moved at all since I fitted it.

I can take a couple of photos if you're interested?
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Standard Velcro wouldn't hold my PSUs, so I bought the heavy duty stuff from Screwfix... https://www.screwfix.com/p/velcro-brand-heavy-duty-stick-on-tape-black-50mm-x-1m/21670

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Gadget said:
    Standard Velcro wouldn't hold my PSUs, so I bought the heavy duty stuff from Screwfix... https://www.screwfix.com/p/velcro-brand-heavy-duty-stick-on-tape-black-50mm-x-1m/21670

I've used that stuff before too. Bought it from amazon. Not stuck a power supply underneath with it, but, it's held a small buffer before without budging.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    Anyone who thinks that dual lock won't hold a power supply upside down has clearly never used dual lock. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    3M is much better than normal sticky back velcro stuff on Amazon.  
  • Slimbert said:
    Slimbert said:
    Cheers guys.

Gravity always wins! =)

Pedaltrain make a universal mounting kit. It's basically two strips of slightly pliable metal and some screws.

I fitted a small ish power supply to the underside of a Pedaltrain and used Velcro to stop it sliding side to side, then used the universal mounting kit to hold it to the board. It hasn't moved at all since I fitted it.

I can take a couple of photos if you're interested?
    I’ve already got the brackets, but I’m pretty sure they’re not any use for this PS.

Im on hols at until Thurs so will get a better look once I’m home, but wanted to order the tape so that it was there for me starting to re-build this weekend
  • JEPBLEPJEPBLEP Frets: 188
    To add to the Dual Lock choir: it's a very different beast than (and infinitely better alternative to) Velcro. I'm able to lift my entire pedalboard whilst grabbing onto a pedal. It really is that strong.

Added benefit of the fact that it's 3M is that if you ever need to remove it, it doesn't leave any goop. 

Also, PSUs are no issue:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    @JEPBLEP , have a wow :) Have you stuck up a shot of the board that needs that much power? :) 
  • JEPBLEPJEPBLEP Frets: 188
    clarkefan said:
    @JEPBLEP , have a wow :) Have you stuck up a shot of the board that needs that much power? :) 

Ha, yeah man - check it out here:

From another thread: Had a little cabinet made to keep things tidy in the study - it’s low enough to be able to swing a foot at, but is mostly perfect for swivelling my chair around and tweaking without spending hours with my ass on the floor. sweat_smile 

Measured it out so it fits a JTM1 head and the Space Echo side by side - taking the whirring of the tape away from the cab. Also, more knobs to twist…

More here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/120014/npd-a-bitquest-csp026-tone-job-ojai-r30s-and-lots-of-patch-cable-done