Training plan

What's Hot
I have limited time to learn guitar so for the new year I've thought of using a training plan that consists of 20 minutes lessons.

I will go through these once / twice per day/night.  I'm thinking this will help build momentum, albeit, slowly.

Things I've thought are: 

Strumming
Picking
Finger dexterity on the fretboard
Fretboard - note positions
Fretboard - chords

I don't want to use training material unless I need to (rules for notes for instance)  - I kind of want to build up foundations myself.  It's going to take massive will power but I think a training plan will give me focus which is half the battle.  It should be easier for me to find 20 minutes (in theory)

What do people think?  Am I on the right track?   Do you think working with a tutor to help me develop a training plan will be worth it?  

I think 'will power' will be hard as my progression will be slow i.e. I won't get the benefits from playing songs until much later.   Does anyone know of any will power hacks?  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's important to have fun too. Try to leave some time for that, and I would include learning songs you like and playing / jamming with others. 

I would definitely recommend a tutor.

I think more important than the what, is the why. What is the aim of your improvement? Having a measurable and achievable goal is very important. Moving that goal when you achieve it likewise. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Learn songs with a teacher. Songs are just applied theory, after all, and much more fun to practice than scales (practicing scales is important too though).

For instance: I told my teacher I wanted to work on chords, and strumming patterns. He suggested Space Oddity, which pretty much fixed me up, and now I can strum better, and also play a great song.

If you do learn songs, learn them properly. That is, you may have a chord change that you have trouble with, or a short phrase of just a few notes that you keep fluffing. Slow way down and repeat just that. Soon, you’ll be stringing together parts you thought were impossible, and you won’t have to worry about will power. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Getting a tutor will speed up your progress and save you years of frustration in learning. You get constant feedback and the motivation to play, structure and direction. Its very very hard to motivate and discipline yourself to play every day, I know I would get bored or lost after a while. The beginning is always the hardest, once you're on a momentum its not too bad.

I have one learner who started with me in September 2016 and he's playing really well now, just about to move on to barre chords which are already sounding good. I've probably shaved off 5 years of frustration in almost 18 months and he's on the way to being a very good guitar player. Most of all he loves it and really enjoys playing songs.

As mentioned above learning songs are also a great way to apply theory and technical skills and you're forced to have to keep up with the beat, i.e. no long pauses are allowed during chords if its a strumming flow-y type song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom