Where do you buy a decent office chair?

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
My Made.con Bruro chair just fell apart after 6 months! They offered a replacement but I'm sceptical now and looking elsewhere.

John Lewis proper 40+ hrs per week office chairs start around £450 which I'd pay if I thought it would last 10 years. 

Looked at Staples and they just won't last 5 minutes. 

I'd rather buy a quality chair than a cheap one and change it every year. Anyone bought a chair which is comfy, quality and reasonably priced? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Herman Miller, there’s nothing better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28174
     Depends very much on your definition of reasonably priced, but about eight years ago I was having trouble with very tense shoulders. I popped into Back2 in London and they made me sit in things and looked at me and measured me and suggested an RH Logic 400. It was about £900.

It's still like new - developed a slight squeak a year or two ago, quick blast of 3-in-1 sorted that. The back and seat are replaceable, it's comfy for an entire day at the desk, it's very adjustable.

I would buy another if I needed another office chair. Though I might not bother getting the arms this time.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28174
    Maynehead said:
    They do some perfectly decent stuff, but I think "there's nothing better" is overstating it rather.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    edited January 2018
    Eames aluminium. Sold via Vitra in Europe... It’ll keep a good chunk of its value too when you fancy a change.

If you keep an eye on John Pye, you can often snag Eames Vitra stuff at bargain prices too.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    this is the one I have at work: https://www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk/office-chairs/operator-chairs/operator-chairs-200-250/gresham-platinum-plus-round-high-back-office-chair.html 

I find it comfortable and will probably buy one for my study at home when the current Ikea chair gives up 

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    I bought this one for my home office 2 years ago and it's as good as the day I bought it. My g/f uses it too for her coursework and loves it.
    It's £109.99 just now but I got it in a previous sale for under a ton, and it also comes in a grey version.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4242833.htm?cmpid=APP003
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    See if there is a place near you that does used office furniture - we have one in Swindon - they are usually from clearances hen offices either go bust or refurbish, so often it's really good longlasting stuff.

I also had an Ikea chair that lasted over 10 years of daily use 
    Red ones are better. 
    Sporky said:
    Maynehead said:
    They do some perfectly decent stuff, but I think "there's nothing better" is overstating it rather.
    I don’t think it is, in my opinion of course.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    TimmyO said:
    See if there is a place near you that does used office furniture - we have one in Swindon - they are usually from clearances hen offices either go bust or refurbish, so often it's really good longlasting stuff.

I know a good place about 40 minutes away where I got one a few years ago but I'm still not driving after my Achilles surgery and won't be until February. They pick my existing chair up in a week so I need something delivered. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited January 2018
    Maynehead said:
    I went through many Argos/PC World £100 ish chairs over the years. That stopped 3 or 4 years ago when I bought a Herman Miller Mirra. Superb chair, Absolutely worth the investment. I got a good price on mine, about 30% off typical list price. Thye come with a 12 year guarantee. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4919
    Maynehead said:
    Yep - I'm sat on an Aeron right now.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15487
    all this talk of decent chairs is all well and fine, but I want to know where to buy an indecent office chair, the sort of thing where you can press a button and it sends a tingle through your dingle, that kind of thing.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    Hermann Miller aeron, there is nothing close
    I have 2
    buy from amazon for £350-£400 I think, 

I got a used one from ebay for £350 I think, and a mint new one for about £500

check the sizes first if you are tall or heavy or tiny
    Sporky said:
    Maynehead said:
    I've never seen/tried better, have you?
    I had one at work for a year, that opened my eyes
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    TimmyO said:

I still have a >10yr old IKEA typist's chair - getting tatty now, but mechanically sound !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    edited January 2018
    Sporky said:
    Maynehead said:
    I've never seen/tried better, have you?
    I had one at work for a year, that opened my eyes
    I sit on one at work, I can sit on it for 7 hours without getting up and be perfectly comfortable, without any aches, pains or circulation problems.  More than can be said for any other office chair I’ve tried, even specially designed posture ones.

We have a limited number of them at work. About 10 years ago, we had a raffle, and my number came up. Instead of picking the bottle of wine, or posh chocolates, or any of the other prizes offer, I picked to sit on one of these chairs. People found it funny at the time, but it turned out to be the best prize of the lot. 10 years later, it’s still in perfect condition. No saggy seat, no loose parts, no wear and tear at all. It’s still just as good as the first day I sat on it.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    What’s better? Embody or Aeron?
    and the other great think about Aerons is you never get a sweaty arse