Books made into films, they don't always work..

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4982
Some do of course but The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald does not.  The Great Gatsby is a very fine read but the narration simply falls flat when on screen.

Some stories are almost made for screen adaption.  Anyone care to suggest those that work.  Or those like The Great Gatsby that don't.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Lord of the Rings is way better than the books. The Hobbit isn’t. 
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Possible heretic alert: I found "Apocalypse Now" to be a let down.  Yes it's long, atmospheric, has plenty of funnily insane characters - but Marlon Brando turning up at the end was disappointing in my opinion.

Sure the guy was supposed to be mad, rambling and a mere shadow of what he had been, but I just didn't get the way he portrayed it. Perhaps he was trying too hard.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Rocker said:
    Some do of course but The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald does not.  The Great Gatsby is a very fine read but the narration simply falls flat when on screen.

Some stories are almost made for screen adaption.  Anyone care to suggest those that work.  Or those like The Great Gatsby that don't.
    Of ones I can remember recently, Sunset Song was good, I thought.

I haven't read The Great Gatsby, but I have the DVD which I haven't watched yet... I'm now wondering if I should read the book first, or later.

Ravenous said:

Possible heretic alert: I found "Apocalypse Now" to be a let down.  Yes it's long, atmospheric, has plenty of funnily insane characters - but Marlon Brando turning up at the end was disappointing in my opinion.

Sure the guy was supposed to be mad, rambling and a mere shadow of what he had been, but I just didn't get the way he portrayed it. Perhaps he was trying too hard.

I thought it was actually an improvement over the book - and that's saying something given how great the book is. The film is simply one of the greatest ever made in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickersticker Frets: 869
    Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (Gene Wilder)was a good adaptation of the source material.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Johnny Depp)was not .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22824

OK, call me Philistine_Q....

I found both The Great Gatsby and Heart of Darkness incredibly dull (and unmemorable) books, and I'm not a fan of the films either.  Not denying Apocalypse Now's a great piece of work, but it doesn't move me at all.

I suspect the books best-suited to film adaptations are ones with strong, simple plots, and not necessarily brilliantly written... Agatha Christie, Ian Fleming?  I know the films aren't actually very faithful to the books.

• I have just finished watching "Mr.Mercedes" series which is an adaptation of Stephen King's novel. I must say that as much as most of the films based on his books are barely watchable - "Mr.Mercedes" is VERY good. I recommend it highly.

ICBM said:

Ravenous said:

I thought it was actually an improvement over the book - and that's saying something given how great the book is. The film is simply one of the greatest ever made in my opinion.
    I think the same. Book is great, movie is fantastic. All time classic.
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Ravenous said:

Heretic
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    The most disappointing film I can think of based on a well known book is "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy".  The film is truly awful and a real missed opportunity.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Brighton Rock.
    You get one ending in the book and another in the film - both great.
    The remake I am struggling to remember do maybe that was shit.

Catch 22
    Doesn't work as a film or a book but both have great moments.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    Ladies and gentlemen I give you 

Stephen King -The Dark Tower 

they could not have got the film more wrong, utterly terrible bag of shite. Books are tremendous 
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    Although I haven't read the book, Perfume the story of a murderer is an awful film. Stanley Kubrick apparently said a film adaption would be impossible, and it seems he had a point. 

On on the flip side, One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest is a much better filum than book
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    boogieman said:
    Lord of the Rings is way better than the books. The Hobbit isn’t. 
    Any excuse to post this:

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    edited January 2018
    Veganic said:
    Brighton Rock.
    You get one ending in the book and another in the film - both great.
    The remake I am struggling to remember do maybe that was shit.

Yup, the remake was bloody awful, whereas the Dickie Attenborough one is brilliant. The book was great too. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    @ICBM, read the book, The Great Gatsby, before you watch the DVD. Then you will have some idea of what is going on. The book itself is a great read..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Veganic said:
    Catch 22
    I was going to say catch 22, I actually liked the book though :)

Harry Potter films are rubbish though.. books much better. 

Most Robert Howard adaptions are pretty poor.. 
    Veganic said:
    Catch 22
    Don't agree. The book is a work of disturbing genius, but the film is still good.

LuttiS said:

I tried reading the (first) book - thought it was badly-written rubbish. The films are dire too, I've seen bits of most of them since my kids have them on DVD... can't force myself to watch them all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    ICBM said:
    LuttiS said:

I tried reading the (first) book - thought it was badly-written rubbish. The films are dire too, I've seen bits of most of them since my kids have them on DVD... can't force myself to watch them all.
    You're right, they are poorly written books, but she does get better as they go on. However I think the actual story is good, and once you get going on them it does overcome the writing.

ICBM said:
    Veganic said:
    Catch 22
    Don't agree. The book is a work of disturbing genius, but the film is still good.
    I think they are both great but if I recall correctly they both lack a traditional "story". The book is hilarious. The film I find really dark. Not seen/ read for a while though. 
    Veganic said:

I think they are both great but if I recall correctly they both lack a traditional "story". The book is hilarious. The film I find really dark. Not seen/ read for a while though. 
    Nor me, but they left a big impression on me. Both are very dark - unsurprising given the inspiration. The book does manage to be funny in a way that you can't help laughing at even though you know it's really the product of terrifying experiences, the film doesn't quite. It's actually amazing that it filmed as well as it did really - I read the book first and thought a film of it wouldn't work, but it did.