Digital pedals that have gained in value / become collectible

What's Hot

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    edited January 2018
    JezWynd said:
    One series that is not getting the appreciation they deserve are the Digitech Hardwires. The fact they’re digital seems to count against them. Which is daft as they’re very well made and sound sensational. Pedal love is fickle.
    -they're not (all) digital. 

At the very least the drives aren't. The fact people kept assuming they are is probably part of the reason Digitech dropped the Hardwires and moved to their current model of releasing different things as DOD and Digitech. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    It’s also quite likely because they have a properly designed casing with a large “Boss type” switch - even though they’re are actually true bypass, people seem to want the crude flat boxes with a mechanical click switch... for reasons I just cannot fathom.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    It’s also quite likely because they have a properly designed casing with a large “Boss type” switch - even though they’re are actually true bypass, people seem to want the crude flat boxes with a mechanical click switch... for reasons I just cannot fathom.

Coz it’s boootik
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 336
    ICBM said:

I love the look of the Hardwire series...but then again, I've always liked the look of the standard Boss stomp boxes!
  • The guy who runs Digitech posts on TGP and is quite open that they dropped the Hardwires just because they didn't sell.

Unfortunately for Digitech if you visit YouTube and look at the demos of the Hardwire drive pedals you see hundreds of comments from hundreds of idiots about how they'll "never buy a digital drive regardless of how good it sounds". I think digitech learned earlier than most that no amount of marketing material or factual information can stop silly "fake news"  from travelling around the internet!

With regards the switches I can only assume that people assumed they were either cheap knockoffs like Behringer pedals or that they couldn't possibly be true bypass unless they had a shitty switch like some dude in his mom's basement was using on his $800 point to point fuzz pedals. My memory is a hit hazy but weren't these pretty much released at peak "has to be hand wired, has to be true bypass, has to be boutique" nonsense time? 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    The guy who runs Digitech posts on TGP and is quite open that they dropped the Hardwires just because they didn't sell.

Unfortunately for Digitech if you visit YouTube and look at the demos of the Hardwire drive pedals you see hundreds of comments from hundreds of idiots about how they'll "never buy a digital drive regardless of how good it sounds". I think digitech learned earlier than most that no amount of marketing material or factual information can stop silly "fake news"  from travelling around the internet!

With regards the switches I can only assume that people assumed they were either cheap knockoffs like Behringer pedals or that they couldn't possibly be true bypass unless they had a shitty switch like some dude in his mom's basement was using on his $800 point to point fuzz pedals. My memory is a hit hazy but weren't these pretty much released at peak "has to be hand wired, has to be true bypass, has to be boutique" nonsense time? 
    Why did people think they were digital? 

The CM-2 was/is an awesome pedal 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    The guy who runs Digitech posts on TGP and is quite open that they dropped the Hardwires just because they didn't sell.

Because people made the assumption that "digi"tech meant everything was digital...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    JezWynd said:
    One series that is not getting the appreciation they deserve are the Digitech Hardwires. The fact they’re digital seems to count against them. Which is daft as they’re very well made and sound sensational. Pedal love is fickle.
    -they're not (all) digital. 

At the very least the drives aren't. The fact people kept assuming they are is probably part of the reason Digitech dropped the Hardwires and moved to their current model of releasing different things as DOD and Digitech. 
    Interesting. I've only used the modulation sounds (Reverb, Chorus and Phase), I assumed the entire series were the same given the name - Digitech.  I wonder if there's a bias against pedals with multiple models installed, a 'jack of all trades, master of none' mentality, which is where the power of digital tech lies.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    TimmyO said:

Because people made the assumption that "digi"tech meant everything was digital...
    Which of course as per digitechrep on TGP it now does.
  • I did a search on ebay for the Hardwire reverb a couple of days ago and the only ones I saw were advertised for over a ton. Not long ago you could get them for ~£60.

To add to the list both my POG2 and Boss DD500 cost a shedload more now than when I bought mine.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I did a search on ebay for the Hardwire reverb a couple of days ago and the only ones I saw were advertised for over a ton. Not long ago you could get them for ~£60.

To add to the list both my POG2 and Boss DD500 cost a shedload more now than when I bought mine.
    But both still in production so that's just about rising cost of production, fx rate etc
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    I love the Digitech Hardwire series. I've got a mini board (I have about 4 pedal boards) with just Hardwire pedals -

Tuner>CM-2>SC-2>CR-7>DL-8>Supernatural

I always felt they they are what Boss pedals should have become. Better sounding, switching, options, reliability. However, Boss have, to their credit, upped their game recently.
  • I did a search on ebay for the Hardwire reverb a couple of days ago and the only ones I saw were advertised for over a ton. Not long ago you could get them for ~£60.

But both still in production so that's just about rising cost of production, fx rate etc
    Oh yeah. Reading comprehension fail.... It's been a long week.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22116
    edited January 2018
    Yamaha UD Stomp definitely has appreciated value over the years. 

Hilarious how the Boss Fender pedals have shot up. 

• Yamaha UD Stomp definitely has appreciated value over the years. 

Is there a reason those Fender/Boss pedals have gone up so much recently?

I used to have the deluxe reverb one, which sounded ok but the design was kinda flawed.  I struggled to sell it when I got rid of it. Think I got 50 quid for it in the end in top condition.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Akai Deep Impact for bass. Used by chris wolstenholme and paul tuner.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Yamaha UD Stomp definitely has appreciated value over the years. 

Is there a reason those Fender/Boss pedals have gone up so much recently?

I used to have the deluxe reverb one, which sounded ok but the design was kinda flawed.  I struggled to sell it when I got rid of it. Think I got 50 quid for it in the end in top condition.
    I think in large part it's because they've been discontinued. That said, the Reverb pedal is very good, an exact copy of Princeton reverb so long as you don't crank the knobs. The bassman works in a similar fashion; sounds very good as long as you keep the controls set moderately - crank them up and the digitalness is revealed.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    I bought a UD Stomp when they were being sold off cheaply when production ended ( @Sporky switched me on to them)

Brilliant, ingenious pedal but quite faff-tastic to set sounds up. I'm sure you could do the same things far more simply with modern digital gear. 

As for the Fender pedals, I had one on extended loan back in the day - entirely 'meh' imo - so if they are mad money now then that's, err, mad 
    Red ones are better. 
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    edited January 2018
    Can't believe the prices of the Digitech EX7, think I paid about 150 euro for mine. Now going for  250+ on ebay.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    TimmyO said:
    I bought a UD Stomp when they were being sold off cheaply when production ended ( @Sporky switched me on to them)

Brilliant, ingenious pedal but quite faff-tastic to set sounds up. I'm sure you could do the same things far more simply with modern digital gear. 
    I've still got mine, but no PSU to check it with.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."