3-notes-per-string VS. The CAGED System

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1093
3-notes-per-string VS. The CAGED System 

Mythbusting with Martin Miller & Levi Clay (Vlog #8)

Duration 41:07

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fxwtmsuB3o

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 631
    edited January 4
    Yes an interesting discussion. I think Martin Miller sums it up perfectly from about 16:47, and I particularly like his statement: "CAGED is a thought process, not a playing prescription".

I originally worked out my own way of visualising (and hearing) the guitar neck around a framework based on 5 pentatonic shapes, which I add to, combine and modify to create scales/arpeggios/chords. I only heard about the CAGED system much later and I chose align my thinking with a CAGED framework, as it was a common language point of reference.

I'm sure users of a CAGED framework for visualising and hearing things have variations on the way they use it. But at least there's a common point of reference. So, if someone describes something in terms of CAGED, I can relate to (and understand) what they're saying, even if my way of thinking about it might be slightly different.

It's not a competition
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 106
    @stratman3142 - thanks for posting - helped me add a focus to 2018 playing re improving fretboard navigation ..
    JMP220478 said:
    @stratman3142 - thanks for posting - helped me add a focus to 2018 playing re improving fretboard navigation ..
    Thanks for the thanks :), but I think @ChrisMusic should get the thanks for starting the thread.
    Do I have the record for fitting the maximum number of 'thanks' in one sentence?

It's not a competition
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 6
    For me, although I'd had a go with both CAGED and 3-nps in the past, the things that really unlocked it for me -- although I've still got a way to go -- was:

i) doing more sight reading, so really having to get the notes on the neck down
    ii) exploring some older jazz styles -- gypsy jazz and swing, mostly -- and beginning to think in terms of relating everything to chords, either as arpeggios, or as decoration (chromatic approach notes, chord extensions), rather than thinking in terms of scales/modes.

Doing ii) basically unlocked CAGED for me in a way that just doing exercises or attempting to learn in isolation didn't. I still don't really think of it was 5 distinct shapes, though. It's more 3 main shapes for me (C, A, E) and I think of the other two as basically extensions/connections between those.
    edited January 5
    This clip is an interesting discussion on fretboard visualisation from two perspectives. My way of thinking is very similar to that of Martin Miller, but both players are 50 billion times better than me.

It's not a competition
  • Thanks for the share man

more than happy to elaborate if anyone wants :)
    Support me on Youtube or Patreon
    https://www.patreon.com/leviclay    |    https://www.youtube.com/c/leviclay
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 383
    I watched this yesterday and it was excellent.