"Shred" pedal? "Black Star" tone.

What's Hot
Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
The Yngwie discussion ongoing has reminded me, that I'm on the lookout for a pedal that does something of that kind of tone.

I'm thinking a high gain, fairly saturated but quite smooth but not overly dark pedal that sort of covers Yngwie's "Black Star" tone (which isn't fizzy or thin). To sit in front of a clean amp, not to boost an already driven amp.

Suggestions?

I'm already covered for everything from edge-of-break up jazzy/bluesy tones, through Stones and AC/DC type sounds, but I don't have anything that really nails that sort of sound.

Matt
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Zoom ultra metal or digitech hardwire metal. 

If neither of those hit it, try the blackstar ht metal or ht dual. 

Of course, there is no substitute for clean, precise picking and volume combined with a strat... 
  • Blackstar ht dual
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    My picking is OK. When I work on that stuff (which I often don't) it's fine. If I stop, it atrophies a bit. 

But my 'tone quest' recently has been very focused on other things, and the pedal choices I have are really not appropriate for that kind of music.

I hadn't really thought about Blackstar (I haven't really enjoyed their amps when I've used them) but that might be a good shout. Ditto on the Hardwire (I like the Hardwire range anyway).
  • Blackstar was most likely recorded with Yngwie's usual set up of his DOD 250 overdrive into a loud Marshall stack.  The only way you're going to get that kind of tone with a clean amp is by layering a few different pedals.

The Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive is a good place to start.  It's made by Fender and costs a mere £61 GBP on Thomann.  I think I got mine from Amazon a while back for around the same price.

One word of warning - Yngwie runs his signature overdrive with the volume and gain control levels up full and this pedal is noisy as hell, which is why he always has a noisegate after it.  

You could run into your clean amp, but you would need to boost the Yngwie sig overdrive with something else to get the compression.  His tone on Blackstar is not as distorted or overdriven as it may appear and neither the DOD nor the YMO have boatloads of gain.  

Just keep in mind what I said about the noise gate.  
    The primary purpose here is to get into the right ballpark for practice, so distortion that's in the right kind of tonal zone is fine. Layering also OK, I have several low-to-mid gain pedals, and clean boost, which could be chained with a higher gain pedal. 

What about the DOD Gunslinger, or similar? Maybe boosted with another pedal.

I know Yngwie's setup is the DOD 250 into Marshall, but that's not a realistic home solution for me :). I do actually _have_ a 50W Plexi style head, too. But that's not child or neighbour friendly.
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited January 2018
    The missing ingredient is volume that compresses the tubes , pushes the speakers, works the transformers and results in that sound , op you may get a '"likeness" to that sound with sticking a drive pedal in front of a clean amp but it will always be a poor imitation if you cant factor in high volume.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Amptweaker Tight Metal - or if that's too much, try the Tight Rock?

• Tight Rock is another good suggestion, as per Dopesick.  

One word of warning - Yngwie runs his signature overdrive with the volume and gain control levels up full and this pedal is noisy as hell, which is why he always has a noisegate after it.  

Well, that was interesting. I do have one high gain pedal (a BSIAB2 that I've never really gelled with and which sits in a drawer). Boost it, crank that all the way up to horrible hissing levels, and roll some top end off on the guitar, and the sound isn't a million miles away.

Noisy, though, and a bit ragged.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    I use a fulltone plimsoul for that sound. Kind of like an overdrive and distortion in one pedal so you can get a saturated lead tone easy. 
  • Matt_McG said:

Well, that was interesting. I do have one high gain pedal (a BSIAB2 that I've never really gelled with and which sits in a drawer). Boost it, crank that all the way up to horrible hissing levels, and roll some top end off on the guitar, and the sound isn't a million miles away.

Noisy, though, and a bit ragged.

Try that with the gain down a bit, and boost that with a tubescreamer. 

You're after something smooth, but with bite - I think that would work better than any of my previous suggestions. 

For home practice, don't be afraid of having too much gain - when you're up loud, the gain can really come down to the sort of crunch levels he uses. 
  • Check this, Matt, a drunk Russian in his jim jams demoing the pedals Yngwie made famous:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Check this, Matt, a drunk Russian in his jim jams demoing the pedals Yngwie made famous:

With footage of cats fighting for some bizarre reason?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cabicular said:
    Check this, Matt, a drunk Russian in his jim jams demoing the pedals Yngwie made famous:

With footage of cats fighting for some bizarre reason?
    Yeah, I'm guessing he was also drunk when he edited it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom